82 Mercruiser 1st water pump, now trim inoperative

Osprey55

Cadet
I have an 82 Mercruiser 260 ( 5.7) with a prealpha drive. It has been trailered due to storm repair work. During a periodic start up with muffs, I noticed that at one point, the water wasn't flowing out of the drive as it had before. The exhaust risers was getting very hot and I suspected that the impellor was shot so I shut it down. Total run time was about 10 minutes at 15oo rpm.
Then, I attempted to adjust the trim down, and realized that it was suddenly inoperative. It will click once when I try raise it at the control handle... without further response from the trim motor. If I try to lower at control handle, not even a click. At the trailer remote switch, I get a click when try to lower, nothing when trying the " up". I checked out the manual # 6
troubleshooting steps. I tried to apply a ground via a jumper from 12- on the bat to ground connection on the pump. Nothing.I briefly touched the jump from the 12+ to the ground at the motor and got the expected sparks. I jumped both solenoids, green
and blue wires, with no response. I cleaned the bullet connectors for the trim switch and even disconnected them and tried.. same lack of response.
Since it will not spin when I jump the solenoids, I doubt if they are the culprit.
I am going to buy a multitester and check the 110 amp fuse. I tapped the motor with a rubber mallet. I took a look at the trim sensor wires to see if they got cooked if things got too hot back there.I used merchant seaman phrases at it, no response. It is stuck in the up or raised position.
I would appreciate any further suggestions. ( I expect that I will just have to
go through the entire voltage check procedure ) Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 82 Mercruiser 1st water pump, now trim inoperative

Ayuh,... If you've jumpered 12v(+), and ground to the motor wires,+ it Don't do nothin',....
It's time for a New 1....

Osprey55

Cadet

I was afraid of that. Suppose it is hard to just replace the motor or
do I have to get the whole unit with the reservior, etc. ?

cr2k

Captain

Take a hammer and tap NOT smack the top area of the trim motor. If it works then you probably have worn brushes inside or rusted/corroded brush holders.

What happens is the brushes wear down but are stuck in the guides and wont maintain contact with the armature.

Some times a little nudge will let them settle in on the armature and work for an unspecified period of time.

If you are capable, you can take the motor off and clean the brush guides.
But getting it back together is the tricky part.

Either that or your relay is bad. Jump it to see.

Osprey55

Cadet

If the relay tests out o.k., I may install a motor repair kit, if I can recall
freshman electric shop lessons. I have rebuilt pool motors so it may be similar.
I have to figure out how to lower the drive so I can replace the water
pump while dealing with the trim motor situation. Any ideas?
Do you think an overheated engine could have caused this problem?
It was absolutely trouble free until that happened.
It seems too coincidental for it not to be related.

jvose

Recruit

I have a 89 glastron futura 225ss,same problems. I took the pump out,had solenoids tested all good.Took the pump apart and the brushes are shot.I cant seem to locate brushes for my boat though!I live in Maine.Next to Sebago lake.A bunch of boating places but no parts!I have the oil-dyne pump sae-j1171. Any web sites let me know. thanks,Jeff

rbh

Fleet Admiral

most of the time you can use brushes from other electrical tools/appliances
they are usually of a couple of common sizes, try a tool or alternator rebuilder. as well they can check out your stator? with a growler and make sure yours is still good.
rob