Where is the "pee" hole on my '72 Johnson 100hp 100esl72r

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
I haven't had it in the water yet. I want to ensure the impeller is impelling before I do that. When I put the muffs on it water comes out a small hole high on the port side of the LU and a small hole low on the starboard LU. It also leaks over the top of the LU. When I run it on the muffs, water burbles out with exhaust from two 1/2" dia holes at the rear near the top of the mid section. I don't see any stream of water with enough force to indicate the impeller is working. I don't know the history of the motor. Where is the stream I should be looking for to indicate the impeller works?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Where is the "pee" hole on my '72 Johnson 100hp 100esl72r

"water burbles out with exhaust from two 1/2" dia holes at the rear near the top of the mid section." this is your tale tell, mist or droplets at idle, increased with rpms.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Does that mean, when I put it in the water and rev it up water should shoot out of those holes? If exhaust comes out of there, is that a bad thing?

Bifflefan

Commander

I dont belive they came with the pee hole your talking about. My 74 85hp didnt. I had to install my own.
the two holes mid are the exhaust releif ports. exhaust comes out there when idleing in the water.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

How and where did you install your own on your 85hp?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

OMC did not come out with the telltale till 1978. Tas is correct. After the engine has run for a minute, the thermostat (vernatherm) will open. When this happens, water mist/droplets will exit the two exhaust relief holes in the upper midsection. Your hand will get moist if you hold it by those ports when the stat opens.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

OMC did not come out with the telltale till 1978. Tas is correct. After the engine has run for a minute, the thermostat (vernatherm) will open. When this happens, water mist/droplets will exit the two exhaust relief holes in the upper midsection. Your hand will get moist if you hold it by those ports when the stat opens.

Thanks, now I understand. Water comes out of those holes only after the thermostat opens.

Sorry to highjack

I'm guessing this is the same for my 1976 115? I'm having overtemp issues and trying to figure out the cooling system.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Pretty much, the thermostat housing is somewhat different.