need help with force 125

Gustafson

Recruit
:confused: just bought a 1988 bayliner capri with a force 125 outboard motor.. it was running fine til we ran low on gas.. now everytime we hit full throttle it boggs down.. we cleaned the carbs and checked the fuel filter <it was clean> then took it out today and cant get it to start..

tony4pyro

Cadet
Re: need help with force 125

After I bought my 1986 bayliner capri with a 125 force, I had similar problems. If the boat sat for any amount of time (especially outside) you probably have lots of water in the gas. I siphoned out the tank and put in fresh stuff, and the problem was solved. Your symptoms sound exactly like what happened to me, which is why i thought i would tell you about it. It's worth checking at least.

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you don't have any records of service to the motor ,I would start with the fuel pump diaphragm to try to fix the fuel problem,and then replace the water pump ,service the lower foot [change the oil] ,this way you know when it was replaced. These are items that need to be replaced on a regular basis[ every two to three years at least] as part of maintenance on the motor. You may have sucked some trash into the check valves in the fuel pump,not letting them work as designed.Look at your fuel system from one end to the other for obvious problems[cracked fuel lines,stopped up tank vent,ect] and keep us posted as to what you find. Hope this helps with your problem,also check at the first of this forum for ''how to '' [ sticky] repairs . MOPARMAN

john from md

Commander

The immediate problem is probably trash from your tank has contaminated your carbs. You need to clean out the fuel system and then add a filter between the tank and fuel pump and one between the fuel pump and carbs.

While you are doing this, you can also be doing the stuff that moparman suggested.

Oh, buy a manual, you are going to need it.

John

Gustafson

Recruit

After I bought my 1986 bayliner capri with a 125 force, I had similar problems. If the boat sat for any amount of time (especially outside) you probably have lots of water in the gas. I siphoned out the tank and put in fresh stuff, and the problem was solved. Your symptoms sound exactly like what happened to me, which is why i thought i would tell you about it. It's worth checking at least.

hey tony thank u for ur advice i am gonna check that out and get back to u on that. i think its gonna b simple to fix ive been reading a lot on this site and seen a lot of simmilar cases and this site is a life saver for peps not so good n these cases. and thanks agen

fisherindark

Cadet

I am having the same problem. But, I have been running mine for months.

To day I filled up and ran it for an hour. Running at WOT then backed out of it and it started to bog if I open it back up. It will run less than half throttle. Came home and checked the compression 120,110,110,120.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!

john from md

Commander

Check your fuel pump diaphram. If you run it low on fuel and the engine backfires, it can damage the thin diaphram. It only takes removing six screws to verify its condition.

John

john from md

Commander

Check the fuel recirculation line between the intake manifold and crankcase if you have one. You may even have two on a 125. If these lines are blocked, you get a fuel build up and the engine will bog.

John

fisherindark

Cadet

I changed all the fuel lines and the spark plugs. Took it out today and it does the same thing. It runs at idle and just a little higher. Move to full throttle and it just bogs down. It looks like there is water in carb. I took the fuel line off and pumped it in a bottle and it is clean with no water.

Thanks for any suggestions

john from md

Commander

Pull the plugs and see if anyone is really clean. You may have a head gasket leak.

John

pilot151

Recruit

does your fuel line have a quick connect at the fuel tank? If it does try pushing your connection tight when it bogs. If it helps then you need to get rid of your quick connect.