1999 3.0L Mercruiser "Bog" when drive engaged

Bald Weasel

Recruit
I have owned a 1999 3.0L Mercrusier since new. It has always worked great.
This year it started as always and we went for a 15 minute run with no problems. Then we experienced a momentary loss of power (similar to a bit of water in the carb). The motor continued to purr like a kitten. After another two/three minutes the engine began to hesitate more and more. I attempted to maintain the RPMs by increasing the throttle.... but no luck. We limped back to the dock barely ideling with the throttle wide open. As soon as I got close enough to the dock that I figured I could paddle the rest of the way... I slipped the shift lever into neutral and the engine immediately died. We took the boat home, setup a test tank enviroment for the lower driver unit and began experimenting with different things. I assumed bad gas. I replaced the gas. I also setup an auxilary tank with brand new gas... I checked both fuel filters, both were clean. I cheched the fuel pump pressure (5.75psi). I checked the fuel pump output while turning over the engine.... lots of fuel pumped out. I dissassembled the carb and cleaned every jet/orifice with a pressurized carb cleaner. I know the boat dealer quite well so he leven oaned me a complete carb to tryout.... NONE of these things fixed or even altered the problem.

So currently I have a clear flexible hose connected to the inlet of the fuel pump and the other end stuck in the new auxilary fuel tank with new fuel.
I push the button on the remote control assembly, move the shift lever a bit forward and start the engine with no problem (as per always)..

THE PROBLEM IS.... when I return the lever back to the vertical position and attempt to push it forward (to engage the propellor) WITHOUT pushing the little round button, the engine fails to increase in RPM... and as such the boat limps slowly forward. I can pump the shift lever back and forth quickly such that the carb's accelerator pumps sprays two beautiful lines of fuel and keeps the engine somewhat ideling... but it rocks and shutters in its mounts. As soon as I stop pumping the lshift ever the engine stalls. But it will start right up as soon as I shift back into neutral, and it will accept full power and idle properly etc. when the propeller is not engaged.

Anyone with any advice on how I can stop beating my head against this wall ?? Thanks ever so much, and Kindest Regards to all. Cheers!

w2waytoo

Recruit
Re: 1999 3.0L Mercruiser "Bog" when drive engaged

I had a same problem with my 1990 195 sunbird 3.0 omc w/cobra drive. tried all same things & then developed oil leak in oil pan. Ended up replacing with new vortec but the important discovery came when they were swapping manifold from old to new engine. They found pinhole leaks in the intake that were allowing water to mix into the fuel. They were small enough to only become a problem under load. You may want to check this out as it has same symptoms as water in the gas because it is water in the gas, only the water is contaminating the gas post carb.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 3.0L Mercruiser "Bog" when drive engaged

When was the last full tune up? Also perform a compression test. Which should be in cluded in a FULL tune up.