1982 StarCraft project

FloatinFool

Recruit
I have recently, well okay, 3 years ago, came into possession of my grandfathers old 82 Starcraft bass boat. It's a 15' 5" I believe with a Merc 50 2 stroke. My father owned it about 15 years ago and at that time I replaced the front and rear decks and re-carpeted the whole thing, new hinges and all. Well after watching it sit idle for a few years at my brothers house in CA I stole it and brought it back to MT. And it sat...

So here I am - with a 25 year old boat that has a rotten floor. I dumped a new battery in, mixed new gas, and she fired right up! Seems to be running a little rich here at 4,000 feet compared to how she ran at sea level so I assume I'll need to have someone go through the carb and maybe re-jet it.

Going to pull up the main deck in the next week or so and lay in a new one which will probably lead me to re-carpet the whole thing again to make it match even though the front and rear decks are in great condition.

All four seats need to be replaced as for one, they are 15 years old and weathered and 2, a raccoon decided he liked the taste of vinyl and foam on two of them. So with those will come new pedestals as well.

I know, this post is worthless without picts so I will add some in the next couple of days! This forum is great, probably too much help cause I just want to get it wet and not totally rebuild!!!

Once I get the picts up, I'll have a dozen questions or so, so warm up those keyboards!!

Thanks for providing such a great source of info!!!

FF

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: 1982 StarCraft project

FF welcome to iboats ( and once we get those pics ) The Starcraft club. Sounds like a pretty solid Familly boat you have should make for a nice fishin platform :D.

Rick

FloatinFool

Recruit

Thanks Rick! The boat has been part of my life for about 20+ years now, My grandfather (really just a neighbor but the only grandfather I ever knew) bought it from my Dad's friend who was the original owner. I've fished off it since I was a young teenager and talked my Dad into buying it off him about 3 years after he bought it. Ive had it out in the Salt in Socal (total blast hanging big Calico's from a small boat!) and up to the high Sierras. Now I live in Gods Country in MT and have it in my sole possession. I want to get it running so I can take my kids out so we'll have a 4th generation on it.

It will be re-badged as the "Stormin Norman" after my grandfather as soon as I'm done.

Picts will be up in the next day or so ... I promise! lol.

I'll need lots of advice I'm sure!

Rickairmedic

Commander

FF if were not good for anything else around here were full of advice ( sometimes its even good advice ) :D.

Rick