How Important is a Survey??? Read this.

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
What the seller said:

Here?s the perfect boat for someone willing to give it a little TLC. This 1995 CrownLine 250 CR has some minor fiberglass work that needs to be done in the transom area, but otherwise is perfectly ready for some fixin? in order to get her ready for the water. If you are willing to put in some time and financial resources, this boat could be yours for as little as $5,000?TRAILER INCLUDED. 5.7 Mercruiser with Bravo 2 outdrive. Engine has 320 hrs, is currently winterized. I have not started the engine. It appears to be all in tact with 2 new batteries. The engine in very clean and appears to be well taken care of. I can make no claim to the engine. I bought the boat from a mechanic who did the winterization and he stated the engine ran very well.

SURVEYORS REMARKS
This vessel, surveyed on its? trailer, is of the manufacturer's 250 CR series. The overall condition of this craft is poor. The transom, engine room shelves and port side engine bed all indicate wet, sound hollow or show other signs of decay. Extensive repairs are required to return her to fair market value and safe condition. The cockpit upholstery requires complete replacement. She shows signs of exposure to salt water and weather. The head liner in the cabin is falling down. The outdrive bellows require replacement. The trailer was custom built for a 1996 Baja 252 and does not properly support the hull.

Much of the value lies in the trailer, engine and outdrive. The outdrive case is damaged and the engine has been exposed to salt water.

SPECIFICS

Frames and stringers: Fiberglass encapsulated wood. The frame under the mid cabin sole indicated wet but sounded solid. The shelves in the engine compartment were wet and very hollow and rotting. The aft port engine mounting bolt turned freely indicating likely rot and decay of the engine bed.

Transom: Fiberglass reinforced plastic and plywood. The transom pegged the moisture meter on both the exterior and interior. The transom exterior returned a solid sound in all areas tested. The transom interior sounded very hollow around both sides of the outdrive cut out.

Cockpit sole: Cored fiberglass reinforced plastic w/non slip pattern. The engine hatch was badly delaminated, sounded hollow and was spongy to the step.

The port side deck indicated dry and sounded solid in all areas tested except around the #1 and # 2 bow rail stanchions where it indicated wet and sounded hollow.

So lets see, new stringers, new motor mounts, new transom, rebuild the engine and a new outdrive and of course all new interior. A LITTLE TLC??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Point being folks, the $200 spent on this survey was worth every penny!

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How Important is a Survey??? Read this.

Aw, c'mon now. It don't sound that bad.:D:eek::D

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are willing to put in some time and financial resources, this boat could be yours for as little as $5,000?TRAILER INCLUDED.

That sounds like a very accurate statement, if he were giving it to you. Then you could just put the $5k into the rebuild.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Point well made, Bubba. This post is a really good read. Everyone thinking of buying a used boat would benefit from reading this one.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Bubba I appreciate you posting this. Very interesting to see how a professional survey report would read.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for your Post..an impressive public service

It is so unfortunate that so many are so naive and worse, so gullible, that they would buy a boat under those sellers pretenses. But, they do...all the time! In fact, sellers may not even know the extent of condition either. I just don;t have an answer for typical everyday boat deals as that, but I do for this one...thank him kindly and walk. Your $200 for that survey was not spent..t'was an investment!! Caveat Emptor