My Jet Boat is smoking ALOT! HELP!

jetty22

Cadet
Just bought a 1993 Bayliner Jazz. This is my first boat and it came with a 90 HP mercury sportjet. Ever since I got it, I've been having trouble starting it and running it in the water. I've only got it to run in the water once but even then, it wanted to stall in neutral/idle.

So...I've replaced the spark plugs, the 6 yr old battery it had, and put in fresh gas. I added about 1.5 ounces of Quicksilver Quikleen engine treatment to the tank.

Nonetheless, I'm still having trouble starting it. My biggest concern is how much it is smoking. I've been running it with the garden hose and a substantial amount of white smoke is coming from the engine bay as well as from underneath the steering wheel. Could this be from the engine treatment, too much oil in the gas, etc?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: My Jet Boat is smoking ALOT! HELP!

sounds like you have two issues... first is that you have smoke in the engine bay. That is REALLY bad. You should never have exhaust inside the boat, it means you have an exhaust leak or a hole in the crankcase possibly. You get it coming out from under the steering wheel because the entire outer hull is filling with smoke. Exhaust leaking out also means you probably are going to leak water in through the same hole from the external exhaust pipes.

second issue is that you mentioned too much oil in the gas? Are you doing premix? If you are using the stock oil tank, obviously you don't want premix. Only premix if the blockoff plate was installed. Otherwise, it is possible the oil mixer is out of calibration, best to take it to a mechanic to look at, screwing that up means the end of your engine.

think of it this way at least, too much oil is ALWAYS better than not enough!

thumpar

Admiral
Re: My Jet Boat is smoking ALOT! HELP!

Good advice from smoking crater. You should also check compression just to see.