1988 Bayliner Cobra with 125 Force

stacyg

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at buying this boat from a guy on Craigslist. I have read some posts about this year of bayliner and quite frankly I am a bit nervous. However, i looked at some listings on line and have seen boats ranging from $3000 to $6000. I am trading a motorcycle valued at $3000.
#1. The boat has no cover. That is a red flag for me, however, Colorado is usually fairly dry. He told me he had a cover on it but that it had got a bunch of mold on it and he threw it away. I need to check out the flooring, stringers and transom. what is the best way of evaluating this wood? Is there access or a technique I should use to see if there is rot?
#2. He says this is a Mercury Force 125hp motor. Is that correct or is this just a Force 125 as I suspect?
#3. He says he just replaced the stator and plugs at a marine shop because it was running terrible. the shop told him it was not firing on all cylinders. He now says the shop gave the motor a clean bill of health. However, he also told me when he had it out after that he could get the boat up to 45 or 50 but that it would briefly stall out at speed after 5 minutes or so. He then had to let off and then he could re-accelerate and it would get back up to speed. He said it was much like a car cutting out. he has not touched the carbs so I am thinking that is going to be it. He is willing to split the cost of re-build.

I am going to look at this boat tommorrow the 29th, any advice I can get about this boat would be great. Interior and paint look very good from pics.

Attachments

• bayliner cobra front side.jpg
    bayliner cobra front side.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0
  • bayliner cobra inside back.jpg
    bayliner cobra inside back.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • bayliner cobra open bow.jpg
    bayliner cobra open bow.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0