Question on Nissan 8HP shift rod

Conchy Joe

Cadet
I replaced my water Pp impeller today. (Old one didn't look bad but was at least 10 years old according to the PO). While the gearcase was off I noticed that the shift rod passes through a plastic piece and then further down into the gearcase. this plastic piece didn't look too waterproof with a metal shift rod sliding through it. Does this rod go into the actual gearcase where the gear oil is? If so maybe the rod and/or plastic piece needs replaced because as stated it didn't look too water proof.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Question on Nissan 8HP shift rod

That is the nylon shift rod bushing. It has o-rings, both internal and external. Yes, the rod extends into the gearcase, and operates the shift cam, which actuates the shift push rod. BTW, the shift rod o-rings are often overlooked when fixing LU leaks. Determine your model, and see the exploded parts diagram at http://www.internetoutboards.com/PartsCatalogMenu.htm

Conchy Joe

Cadet

THANKS! Now the silly question:

The catalogs are divided int different years. I have a 1993 NS8B. It falls between 1992 NS8B and 1996 NS8B. Which catalog would be the correct one?

pvanv

Admiral

When there are slight revisions, a new catalog comes out. The newer manual should be fine. It should list any differences, grouped by serial numbers, where applicable (in the right column).