OMC Outdrive Replacement ... again

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi

Sorry, but i continue to be confused about the OMC Outdrives...

For example, a 1978 22' Formula Cuddy Cabin - $1500 -
very nice...
But the 235 HP, 230 OMC Outdrirve needs replacement.

The "general responce" is walk away ? ... but it is very nice...

So... does it vary by boat to boat when the transom can be adapted to a Merc or VP configutation ? (since the we know OMC repair, replacement is not recommended?)

Thanks in advance.

Ed

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Outdrive Replacement ... again

It's a situation where the transom needs to be replaced and all set up for a merc drive. This can be very expensive. For the money you will have to invest to fix this you can find a very nice boat you won't have to do anything to.

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC Outdrive Replacement ... again

I would agree. If the outdrive needs to be replaced, OMC is not the way to go and changing to something else requires the entire transom be redone to support a new setup. Unless you can do it yourself and are willing to let the boat sit unused while you are doing it however long it takes you, I'd pass. "Nice boat" is more an emotional response rather than a practical one.

I bought my Evinrude because of a childhood memory. It needed work and I've been working on it but here it is almost August and it's been in the water only once. I got the boat pretty cheap but for the time and money I have into it, I could have bought something pretty nice that didn't need any work. I'm not complaining cuz I like the boat, it's just taking longer than I expected to get her up and running.

You'd be better off to pass on it and find something that doesn't need work.