Rough Running in Small To Moderate Chop

krewe

Recruit
I'm relatively new to boating. I recently purchased a 1991 Javelin 373 F/S. The motor is a Johnson 150 outboard. I took it out the other day on the lake for the 1st time to see how she handles. Everything went fine except that the boat was jumping every small wave or ripple it hit. I felt like I was running in the gulf on a large cigarette boat. It was jumping that bad. I had the motor trimmed all the way in. Is there something else I can do to stop this from happening?

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rough Running in Small To Moderate Chop

A hydro-foil MIGHT help some, but probably slow the "descent" down more than anything else. Any weight you can move forward will help a little as well.

Someone else might chime in with a better response.

One other thing to consider is how much weight you've got in the stern of your boat. Did you check the transom before purchase to make sure it is sound? Sometimes, if water has invaded the transom, it will get very heavy with water soaking up into it AS WELL as any foam you've got back there.

krewe

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. The stern holds the standard gas/oil tanks and 3 batteries. It does have 3 livewells but, they were empty. As far as I can tell, the transom is pretty solid. No hollow spots or spider cracks. I also gave the motor several good downward pushes and saw no bend or give in the transom.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Buy a new boat. :D

That boat has a very flat hull design. It's the nature of the beast.

collind

Cadet

I'm relatively new to boating. I recently purchased a 1991 Javelin 373 F/S. The motor is a Johnson 150 outboard. I took it out the other day on the lake for the 1st time to see how she handles. Everything went fine except that the boat was jumping every small wave or ripple it hit. I felt like I was running in the gulf on a large cigarette boat. It was jumping that bad. I had the motor trimmed all the way in. Is there something else I can do to stop this from happening?

I would highly recommend SmartTabs. They improved my boats ability to handle small/moderate chop by keeping the bow down so the 'v' cuts the waves. much less slamming and bouncing.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You dont say weather its a "V"hull or flat, either way try trimming out..trimming full in, causes the bow to push down into the water, trimming out will raise the bow and depending on the type of hull,will ease the boat thru chop...try adjusting the trim before you spend money on anything...in chop you want the hull to slice thru, not pound.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

Smart Tabs would be my recommendation as well....
Think you'd see a drastic improvement in handling and at a relatively small price point.

Do a search for Smart Tab.

krewe

Recruit

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try experimenting with trimming it out a little this weekend. If that doesn't help, I'll look at smart tabs.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

tri hull/flat bottom, raise the front end up and take the hits as far back as you can. (weight in the back helps). For a v hull it is pretty much the opposite.