New EM55 Trolling motor

Sparkscw

Seaman Apprentice
After much thought on a kicker motor, I decided to go with an Engine Mount EM55 electric.
I had the chance to check it out today and so far I am happy with it. I was able to run about 2-2.5mph. It's on a 17' Four Winn runabout.
I will go out and see how long my old bat will last trolling with it next. And Boy did I feel good about helping the environment out.
Check it out......

100_2909.jpg

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New EM55 Trolling motor

it looks pretty good. i havent seen anyone use one before. let us know how it works out.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have one. I didn't think of putting it on top of the fin that I had. I wanted to see how the boat ran without the fin. I don't like it and I will probably go back to it or trim tabs.

I have a question for you.....Out of the water, how loud is the motor at 100% throttle? Does it spin quietly or can you hear it like an electric motor a full rpms?

Sparkscw

Seaman Apprentice

I have one. I didn't think of putting it on top of the fin that I had. I wanted to see how the boat ran without the fin. I don't like it and I will probably go back to it or trim tabs.

I have a question for you.....Out of the water, how loud is the motor at 100% throttle? Does it spin quietly or can you hear it like an electric motor a full rpms?

I didn't know any better so I put it on top of the hydrofoil. I think that I will take the hydrofoil off and see how she runs with out.
Smart Tabs have been suggested to me, although I would have to go with some that I can manually adjust up so when I am trolling with the EM55 (makes me think of "Stripes") I don't have any drag from them.
The motor is pretty quit in or out of the water (out of the water it has a whirring sound that you can hear).
For me it was the most efficient way to add an auxillairy motor for both trolling and emergency backup.:D

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like mine too. I'm just not sure that I'm getting 100% power out of it. For the fishing I do, I need to troll at about 1.5 mph. This setup is perfect for that.

I would like to add smart tabs too, but I'm running out of "boat units" for the summer. That is what we call the budget for annual boat stuff (the inevitable repairs and new stuff). New manifolds and exhaust elbows were the unexpected hit this year.