4hp Solo lower unit.

NoRdO

Cadet
I'm trying to remove the propeller drive shafts in order to remove the water pump. The pump is clogged and needs repair. I have already removed the c-clips on the end of each shaft. The shafts don't seem to want to come out. Can anyone give me some advice as how to remove them. I have included pictures.

Picture097.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Picture095.jpg

Picture094.jpg

Picture093.jpg

NoRdO

Cadet
Re: 4hp Solo lower unit.

Anyone? I'm trying to get this thing out on the water soon.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Looking at similar type motors some have a pin holding the pinion gear on.
I suppose the gear could be threaded on the shaft.
I would assume the pinion comes off and drive shaft slides out.
Is there anything in the cover that supports the pinion gear when installed thus keeping it on the shaft?Its possible it can be gently pried off the shaft. Have you tried an internet search for Solo info?

NoRdO

Cadet

There were c-clips on both shafts on the inside on the lower unit. I removed both c clips and the pinion gear now slides up and down the shaft. I also removed the c-clip on the ring gear side. Even after doing this, neither shaft seems to want to easily come out of the housing. I don't want to try to force anything and break something. There are no replacement parts available for this outboard. There is virtually no information on the internet about these motors as soo few were made. All I know is that it was made in 1980 in Germany.