First time old boat owner ?s

bananaboater

Ensign
I have been following this site for a few months and just signed on. Just bought a 1964 (?) Starcraft Jet that is in pretty good shape but needs some tender loving refurbishing and care. Couple quick questions for those that have done what I am about to do. FYI I do have an original brochure for it that shows the boat and details. Also a Mercury manual for up to 1965 engines.

I cannot find a label/sign that dates or gives info/serial number to my boat. Did it ever have one, if so where, or is there a way for me to find more details about it.

The floor is in surprisingly good shape but I think I want to replace it this winter. It has large flat head pop rivets (original?) and I am wondering if they are still available.

And are replacement parts like the white rubber step with Starcraft on them available? I have searched all over the web and have not found any.

I plan to post a few pics soon. This is a great resource for newbies.

Thanks for advice.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: First time old boat owner ?s

Ahhhhhhhh
Welcome Aboard!
Yet another Starcraft!!!!!!
We have our own watering hole here! lol..
Do you have the paperwork? HIN#???

Rivets are available...Fastenal, Grainger..bunch of places!

That brochure is a good thing to have...Would be great if you could scan and post pics from it!

Rickairmed will be by shortly..Upset that I beat him ONCE again to a new SC thread!! lol

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL see what happens I go do a Job in BFE and Kev gets another one :D.

Ok now that thats over welcome to iboats ( and after we see pictures for verification ) the Starcraft club :D.

There should be a plate on the starboard ( right as your facing the front ) side of the boat up near the dash inside the boat that will have a Serial number and the name of the boat on it it will look like the one in Kev's signature only it wont say Holiday on it :D. There seem to be quite a few Jets popping up lately as Kev said the rivets are available from several places locally and online . Get some pics up so we ca see your new baby and help you make her better than ew :D.

Rick

bananaboater

Ensign

Here are the pics of the Starcraft as purchased. I will try to scan the brochure but it is about 18 pages long and bigger than my scanner. If these pics come through do you have any suggestions of how to get my brochure on line so others can see it?

When I was about to leave the pbo he asked me if I wanted the grey plastic seats he had taken out. GLAD I did, they are mounted on an original board, not plywood. Great discovery.

Thanks for replying so fast.

Attachments

• IMG_0565 copy.JPG
    IMG_0565 copy.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0564 copy.JPG
    IMG_0564 copy.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0563 copy.JPG
    IMG_0563 copy.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0562 copy.JPG
    IMG_0562 copy.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0561 copy.JPG
    IMG_0561 copy.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander

Oooooooooooooooh She's a pretty one even the Merc is color matched SCHWEEEEEEEEEEET . The factory plate that looks like the one in Kev's signature should be on the side near the controls and dash . I would say if that boat hasnt been redone she has been well and I mean well taken care of and you have a fantastic project :D. You also have the brochure so pretty much anything you want to know bout her will be in the Brochure .

The brochure itself if you scan it usually has to be done one page at a time . I will be happy to get the pics up for you send me a PM and I will give you my email addy send them to me and I will get them up on here :D.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Oh I forgot with those required pictures of such a good looking boat Welcome to the Starcraft club :D. You have a PM waiting by the way look up at the top of the page where it says Welcome,bananaboater and you will see a link you can click on ( private messages ) .

Rick

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

That is a fine lookin ride! The red merc is OUTRAGEOUS:eek::D Welcome to the starcraft club, there is plenty of room for you in our flotilla!

Hi banana, Welcome, I'm new here too! The people here are great and will help any way possible. Wow, that is a nice boat!!!:D Even has my colors! Just so you know, on my jet the I.D. plate is located on the starboard side just in front of the transom. Good luck, beautiful boat! Al

bananaboater

Ensign

Little update on my limited progress of the Starcraft Jet restore. Back to the motor mechanic (he did a major tuneup 2 weeks ago) after my first time in the water. Would start and idle and it sounded very good but when I put it in gear it stalled every time. If it is nice tomorrow I will take it out to see if his adjustment on timing fixed the problem. It ran fine in the tub.

Ordered two individual seats and one bench for the rear seating. Wanted red and white but had to settle on gray and red. The gray may set the color scheme for any hull work. Saw a refurbish using platinum silver and that was a knockout.

Replaced the only two bunkers (right term?) on my trailer, rest all rubber rollers. Spent a couple days doing it but I am retired. Probably a bit over the top with SS screws and finishing washers but I like the way they came out. Rolled the carpet edged under so fraying will not occur. Found some new commercial carpet in a dumpster. Had to split the old ones to get the bushings out.

Here are before and after pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0631 copy.JPG
    IMG_0631 copy.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0633 copy.JPG
    IMG_0633 copy.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 0

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been following this site for a few months and just signed on. Just bought a 1964 (?) Starcraft Jet that is in pretty good shape but needs some tender loving refurbishing and care. Couple quick questions for those that have done what I am about to do. FYI I do have an original brochure for it that shows the boat and details. Also a Mercury manual for up to 1965 engines.

I cannot find a label/sign that dates or gives info/serial number to my boat. Did it ever have one, if so where, or is there a way for me to find more details about it.

The floor is in surprisingly good shape but I think I want to replace it this winter. It has large flat head pop rivets (original?) and I am wondering if they are still available.

And are replacement parts like the white rubber step with Starcraft on them available? I have searched all over the web and have not found any.

I plan to post a few pics soon. This is a great resource for newbies.

Thanks for advice.
NAPA carries the large flat head pop rivets

Rickairmedic

Commander

Albert the bunks look great heck if your bored being retired and all :D . You could always come over and do my bunks for me . I have the carpet and glue and such just dont have the time right now nd thats all I am lacking to get the boat back on the trailer :D.

Rick

bananaboater

Ensign

Making progress on my restore. Go to my photobucket page to see.

Albert,

That sure is a pretty boat!!!! I wish mine looked half that good.:rolleyes:
Maybe next year... Al

Andy in NY

Commander

albert, progress is looking good. hurry up and get it done so you can attend tinstock!

montanahusker, i know it would be a quit the haul for you, but you should make it to tinstock next summer in lake anna, virginia. starcrafts galore! theres a link in my sig if you havent heard of it yet...

bananaboater

Ensign

Spent the last few days prepping the hull for gluvit. Two things, one...found way too much pitting/corrosion especially in the bow area. Some almost all the way through. Have wired brushed them really well and found some zinc chromate primer. Plan to brush it on, let it dry well and go back with Gluvit over all spots a couple times. I researched the forums and came to that conclusion. For those that have done this does that sound sound? Also bought some JB Weld if that gets more "votes."

Second a mystery. I would have expected to see dents in the hull in the forward part of the boat. :( Not so in my boat, all my dents are in the aft 1/3. Anybody with an explanation or similar situation?

Thanks, Albert

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looking good Albert I have to ask is the vinyl Blue or Gray it looks Blue but it could just be me . I hope its gray :D as I think the color combo on your boat looks great and changing it to blue I dont think would look as good :D.

Rick

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Nice progress, I would fill the pits with gluvit and don't zinc it first. Gluvit will stick just fine to raw aluminum