water in fuel, what problems can it cause

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I checked the fuel supply for my 115 Evinrude this morning, and in a 12 oz bottle, probably had 1/2 oz of water that separated out of it. (the gas was freshly gotten about a week ago, so it isnt stale) I am currently installing a water separator filter in line, but I would like to know if my prior bogging and stalling issue could have been caused by this amount of water in the gas. I intend to run the tank dry, remove it and have it cleaned once empty.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: water in fuel, what problems can it cause

I checked the fuel supply for my 115 Evinrude this morning, and in a 12 oz bottle, probably had 1/2 oz of water that separated out of it. (the gas was freshly gotten about a week ago, so it isnt stale) I am currently installing a water separator filter in line, but I would like to know if my prior bogging and stalling issue could have been caused by this amount of water in the gas. I intend to run the tank dry, remove it and have it cleaned once empty.

Let's just say it can't run on water. It can swallow a few drops at a time with no problem, but gross gulps like that, it can't keep going.

ScottinAZ

thats what I figured. I think between this, and the slipped gasket between the fuel pump and block, I think I have this thing licked.

To really get all the water out, is it considered OK to use an alcohol based product (similar to cars and fuel systel "treatments") to get ALL the water out of the system easily. Of course this would be offset with extra oil to avoid running it "lean" on oil.

petryshyn

Commander

You may have a ton of water in there, so its not a good idea to mix it with fuel by adding alcohol. Get a syphon hose or oil evac. system and pull the bottom gallon or 2 out of the tank. Wouldn't hurt to tilt the boat in the direction you think your hose will take.

ScottinAZ

from what I have seen, I estimate about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of water in the tank. I was hoping I could pass it through the fuel system with alcohol, but I guess its just too much to do it in a safe manner. I fired the boat up on muffs using my 6 gal portable from the other boat, and it runs much better. Im half tempted to drain the tank, and burn it in my truck instead....

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

I would siphon out as much gas as you can, fill with fresh and run it, draining your water sep. filter frequently. If you have the kind with the drain bowl on the bottom you can just drain it after every time you run it or every couple of hours until you get the idea the water is gone or under control.

ScottinAZ

the type I have is the one with the "oil filter looking" filter on it. I may be able to get a filter for it with the drainable water trap though, I have to check. as for filling it with fresh, I just filled it with fresh last Thursday....... Live and learn I guess.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Drain it, dump it and start again. Why contaminate anything else with it ?? Just asking for more trouble and expense in my opinion.

ScottinAZ

Drain it, dump it and start again. Why contaminate anything else with it ?? Just asking for more trouble and expense in my opinion.

Whilst this may be ideal, it is unfortunately not feasable. I dont have a facility nearby that can take 20+ gallons of "contaminated" fuel (most places here would consider the 2 stroke oil in it "contamination") and concience, if not law prevents me from just dumping it on the ground. I also do not have facilities to store the fuel indefinitely. That leaves me burning it in something, be it my truck or the boat.

Good news is that a fuel sample taken after installing the water separator shows that there is NO WATER in the fuel supply to the engine. Now to keep enough of a supply of filters in stock until the water is gone.

ryendube

Petty Officer 1st Class

you know 24:1 is the gas oil ratio not the gas water one..... thats alotta water and its no good man. epecially in a 2 stroke. you realize by your measurements aproximetly your running twice the amount of water in your fuel than you are oil......

ScottinAZ

1/2 oz may be a bit on the high side, but it was a LOT of water that was in it. I can only assume that the rest of the tank would have similar amounts of water in it, given that the piclup is at the bottom of the tank.

First pic, you can see the layering at the bottom of the jar. Given that the bottom isnt flat, I estimated at 1/2 oz or so. This is in a 12oz DRY water bottle I had laying around

DSCN1235.jpg

Here is a pic after installation and purging of the water separator. I can see no visible separation layer, showing that the filter is doing its job.

DSCN1236.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

It looks like it's working but I'd still pump out the bottom gallon or two as suggested above.

ScottinAZ

Thats a what I planned on doing. I can handle disposal of that much fuel, but a full 20+ gallons is stretching what the folks lawnmower can burn in a lifetime :D

ScottinAZ

around here, as dry as it is, more like

BRUSHFIRE!!!

then again, with all the water in that fuel, it would probably self extinguish :p