1991 Johnson 115hp issues (hard start and idling under power)

aviator8

Recruit
I wonder if some of you might be able to help me diagnose my problem. I just recently purchase a 17ft CC with a Johnson OMC 1991 115hp 2 stroke. Model number VJ115TLAIE. What I am experiencing is dificulty getting the motor started sometimes, and cutting out while idling, both in gear and out of gear. Here are the sysmptoms I see:

This unit has VRO. Once I start up there is no issue while running at speed.

When I come to rest and leave the motor in idle it will idle fine for awhile. 10-15 mins. Then I get an ocasianlay chuggin sound. The best way I can describe it is like the unit is huffing or sucking air. This will be followed by a stall if I do not increase my throttle up to around 1000rpm. Normal idle speed is about 700RPM

When i turn off the engine after being run for 30 mins or so. If i have it off for any period longer than 5 mins I have to choke it to get it started

I also am not able to just start it up in the netral position. I have to advance the throttle in netral to get it started, then let it run at 1500rpm for several mins before it will idle

When i do the start procedure above I notice that there is alot more oil smoke than normal, but once idling the smoke level seems normal.

I would think that after running at speed for 30 mins the engine should be warm enough to just start without choke, and without having to rev it for sevral min just to get it idling. Am I off base or do any of these symptoms point to things I can check/adjust to get this thing to start easier and maintain and idle?

Re: 1991 Johnson 115hp issues (hard start and idling under power)

im having the same problem with my 1990 90hp vro. i was forsed to adjust the idle up to about 1100 in neutral in order for it to crank up with out bliping the throtel. let me know if you figer it out

aviator8

Recruit

frustrating isn't it? Especially if you are fishing, and have no trolling motor. Just want to idle on over 50-100 feet to reposition, but end up having to make all kinds of racket reving my engine to get it to the point were i can slowly shift position. Any help would be appreciated

aviator8

Recruit

Looks like a compression issue for me. all cylinders are 110 except cyliber #1 measuring 85 psi.

LouSylvia

Cadet

Any other ideas, I am having the same problem, with the same motor

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Having the same issue with my 1991 100hp Johnson, I have rebuilt the carbs, replaced the plugs, adjusted the timing... Idles better under load than in neutral but will sometimes cough and stop.

You need to start a new thread, this is a hijack.....
Id clean those carbs again, all the tiny little holes need to be blown through, a little bit of dried up fuel or an ant in there and she will cough and stop

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The trouble shooting on these crossflow motors starts with a compression test.----------Many , many failures of piston rings over the years.--------If compression is way lower on one than other cylinders than pull the head off to have a look !

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Agree with racerone. Normal compression would be that all 4 readings would be within 10% of each other. You've got a suspect cylinder.