water in the spark plugs!!!! how to fix??

1960ish 75hp johnson super sea horse/the motor runs good with out any water. dont worry only ran for a second or two. once i put water to it. the water gets to the spark plugs and kills the motor. so i took off the heads and valve covers and replaced the gasgets and put it all together and put it in the water and it does the same thing. water in the spark plugs.... i work on this all day today any ideas what to check next???? it kinda get fustrating working on an out board motor trying to get it on the lake....and it still does the same thing.... PLEASE HELP ME FIX THIS SO I CAN GET ON THE LAKE THANKS

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: water in the spark plugs!!!! how to fix??

Sounds like a hole has developed between the water jacket and cylinder. Have you ran a compression test?

no i havnt i need to get that tool but can u give me an idea where to check for the leak so i dont have to tear the whole motor off please

ryendube

Petty Officer 1st Class

no i havnt i need to get that tool but can u give me an idea where to check for the leak so i dont have to tear the whole motor off please

gasket or crack. your tearing things apart regardless.

well pretty much have about a quarter of the motor torn apart. when the bolts and screws are 50 years old they tend to be stuck there.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Teardown can be tough on older motors. Good Luck finding the issue. Could be worth considering re-powering depending on what you find.