5.0 gxi-f timing question

boatkraz

Recruit
I have a 2006 reinell with a 5.0 gxi-f volvo penta with an sx drive. The boat seems a bit doggy out of the hole and I believe I have the right prop on it (19x14.5)since I am running good rpm on top end (5000). I tried to check the timing on the motor but it didn't seem to do anything as I moved the distributor back and forth. Is this sysem completely done by the computer and any alterations have to be done by somebody with the right stuff or is there a way for me to change the timing. I am new to boating, so maybe my expectations are a little high of the hole shot, but i think it should be better. Thanks in advance

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: 5.0 gxi-f timing question

What size reinell do you have? Are you the same owner from new? Do you think some one eles move the timing for some reason, and now you tryd removing it to make it better. If no one did a service before and played with the timing then there was a good chance the timing did not move on it's own and it should have stayd set as long as the [dist] bolt was still tight when you went to move it. You will need to get the timing back to stock specks with a timing light and also by putting the ECM in to base timing mode at idel to stablize the timing so you can set it with out the timing mark moving all over the place while you are trying to set it back to stock.There is three ways to do that One is to take it to a marine shop that has the tools, too is to buy a scan tool and a timing light with a dial on it, Here is the link to the tool.http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm. You can buy the hand held scan tool [black box] in the second photo down, and that will tell you a lot about what your engine is doing while running, As long as you buy a service manual to with it to help understand some of it. Or the third thing is to buy the third tool down in the link, and that has a light that will blink if your engine has any codes set, And also by fliping a switch it will put the engine into base timing mode so you can set the timing up right.Good luck with it. If your engine is carbed then look at this link for info. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=271407

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.0 gxi-f timing question

You can not change the timing, it's all done by the ECM.
But now, you have to get that distributor back to where it was originally.
Are there paint marks that you can line up to get it back exactly where it was?

If not, do this.
1. Line up the timing marks on the Vibration dampner and the mark on the timing cover while on #1TDC on the compression stroke.
2. Remove distributor cap and check that the rotor is pointing at the mark on the distributor housing as shown. If not, line it up and tighten down the distributor, put the cap back on.
3. Then, with the scan tool, start the engine and verify the cam angle is 45? ?5?.
4. Don't mess with it again unless you know what you are doing, and have the OEM manual.

attachment.php

Attachments

• distributor.jpg
    distributor.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 17