1962 28hp Evinrude Tutoring needed

jeepers

Seaman Apprentice
Morning,

i am new to outboards and inherited this motor with a 14' fibreglass boat. i'm having a lot of fun tuning and cleaning and so on. The motor runs like a top but it just can't seem to get the boat on plane. Again, i'm new at this but it just seems as though i'm not getting all of the RPM that it has to offer. i think that i just have more LS/HS adjusting to do.

Here's where the turorial comes in. i added a bilge pump to the boat and took it out for a spin. The back end of the boat sits very low in the water and everytime i step in the back, i gain water through the transom drain. Cool, i get to test the bilge pump. As soon as i hit the pump button the engine pretty much cut out. There is no recharge circuit on this boat. Can someone explain to me why using electricity, which i assumed was coming directly and only from the battery, is causing the engine to faulter? Could this be telling me something about the difficulty i am having reaching RPM?

thanks in advance,
dean

coolguy147

Commander
Re: 1962 28hp Evinrude Tutoring needed

dont believe this motor needs the battery to run

umm trying pumping the primer bulb see if this helps

if u just got this motor and i would replace the impeller

ur boat might be waterlogged under the floor it should plane i belive

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the blige pump should have only connections to the battery. it should have nothing to do with the motor. i assume you motor is electric start.

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the blige pump should have only connections to the battery. it should have nothing to do with the motor. i assume you motor is electric start.

Ditto on the bilge pump situation. It should be completely separate from the engine. Check wiring.
A good rule of thumb in boating, or anything else for that matter, is to always check the cheap things first. Make sure the engine is at the right height and the tilt angle is correct.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Wire the bilge pump separate from the motor wiring. Check/clean your carb and follow the carb setting info in the Top Secret File at the top of this J/E forum. Service the LU and make sure its pumping water. Check the boat for saturated foam/water intrusion.

jeepers

Seaman Apprentice

Good morning,

Thanks to all for your comments. i'll definately be going back to review the wiring. i tapped it off the running lights which i thought were okay and connected to the accessories post of the ignition switch but now, thanks to your comments and a night to think things over, i guess that when i hit the pump button i am grounding out the engine.

I'll also review the docs on the carb. i haven't taken it apart yet and i know that the engine sat for 10 years without any TLC so it's not a bad idea.

The impeller comments have me more than a bit curious though. I thought that the impeller's purpose was to circulate water to cool the engine. How could the impeller be associated with power issues? The engine doesn't seem to be overheating. i ran it full out yesterday for 30-45min yesterday and, with the exception of not seeming to reach it's full potential, the engine ran smooth.

thanks again,
dean

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Good morning,

Thanks to all for your comments. i'll definately be going back to review the wiring. i tapped it off the running lights which i thought were okay and connected to the accessories post of the ignition switch but now, thanks to your comments and a night to think things over, i guess that when i hit the pump button i am grounding out the engine.

I'll also review the docs on the carb. i haven't taken it apart yet and i know that the engine sat for 10 years without any TLC so it's not a bad idea.

The impeller comments have me more than a bit curious though. I thought that the impeller's purpose was to circulate water to cool the engine. How could the impeller be associated with power issues? The engine doesn't seem to be overheating. i ran it full out yesterday for 30-45min yesterday and, with the exception of not seeming to reach it's full potential, the engine ran smooth.

thanks again,
dean

There is something screwey with your wiring. The ignition system is totally independent from the battery, so NO wiring issue should have any effect on the ignition or running. Do you have an ignition switch made special for magneto ignition? It should have two "M" terminals, or one "M" and one Ground.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

It's a good idea to check the water pump/impeller on an outboard, as a matter of routine service, especially when you first acquire it. That won't affect how you have it wired of course, or vice versa...just a service tip.