'97 - 25hp - 2 stroke, should I remove the home made air filter?

wormil

Cadet
I just bought this boat recently and am still learning it's quirks. Last time out my motor quit on me. At home first thing I did was pull the plugs, they were black and wet so I cleaned them and started the motor. It ran for a few seconds then quit. I squeezed the fuel bulb and fuel shot straight up out of the fuel filter. Problem found -- broken fuel filter, it fell apart when I jiggled it (it had broken and someone melted black plastic over it as a temporary fix). Then I noticed the home-made air filter... two pieces of aluminum flashing with an foam air filter sandwiched between them. The rear piece has a hole cut out for the intake. Since these motors aren't designed to be run with air filters could this make my motor run rich? Should I remove the filter? The hood thing or whatever normally goes over the intake isn't listed in the parts manual but I could probably construct something if I knew what it looked like.

Related question... when I order the new fuel filter cap, should I also order a new o-ring and new screen? The ones on there look okay.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '97 - 25hp - 2 stroke, should I remove the home made air filter?

I suppose as long as you stay off of dusty lakes it would be a good idea to remove the air filter. Might just get better breathing, too. :)

wormil

Cadet

What should I replace it with?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the motor was designed with out an air silencer. just take it off. yes it can restrict air flow.

wormil

Cadet

off it comes then