Checking the oil....what in the heck?

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ran OOG yesterday....I know, I know...lol Anyway, immediately checked the oil and the dipstick is dry as a bone...no oil. I freaked out and add 2.5 quarts and very concerned as I just changed the oil Friday!

Running a 5.0 liter Mercruiser, Alpha 1.

I go get some gas with a friend and come back and check the oil again....NOTHING on the dipstick. I was beached the second time but floating on the water the first time. I are wondering how in the heck is it showing no oil without even starting the second time around.

Anyway, trailer the boat and drive it home, on level ground I check the oil and the oil is 2 quarts TOO MUCH! I thought it was a blessing I ran out of gas when I saw my dipstick was dry only to find out I shouldn't have put a drop in it.

Oil pressure was fine all day yesterday. Running 30 at idle and maybe topping 45 at WOT.

I am leaking oil from somewhere but not outside the transom. Something leaking inside, somewhere. To be determined ASAP! Maybe 1/2 cup of oil/water in the bildge tonight but nothing that makes me worry too much.

Boat ran excellent today, crusing about 35 and hitting 55 whenever I wanted to. Ran it hard and oil is fine tonight at home!

So, am I loosing my mind? Anyone ever heard of this. Maybe not an OEM dipstick or something? Very strange I get an acurate reading on level ground and a dry dipstick in the water. Did the same thing to me last weekend and I thought I had big problems.

Dang rookies and their new boats:D

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Checking the oil....what in the heck?

Find a local marina/boat sales place and ask them if you can compare your dipstick to another boat with the same engine.

Tell them "I think my dipstick is too short, can I see yours?" then wink. lol. OK don't do that.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Probably only needed a half quart to go from the end of the dipstick to full. The dipstick doesn't extend to the bottom of the pan. When you beached it did it lean away from the dipstick side?

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably only needed a half quart to go from the end of the dipstick to full. The dipstick doesn't extend to the bottom of the pan. When you beached it did it lean away from the dipstick side?

haha danond!

And EB, yes, most probable. But how does one explain a dry dipstick while floating in the water? hummmmmm

JustJason

Vice Admiral

throw a level on the engine someplace and see how she sits.

Bifflefan

Commander

As stated level the engine with it on the trailer and then check the oil. It should read properly then.
Then just check it b4 your go every time and unless you get a large leak all the sudden you are fine. You just cant burn that much oil that fast so unless it leaks, its still in there.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One other thing. DO NOT just pull the dipstick out and read it, it will be incorrect.
Pull it out, wipe it off then put it back in all the way and pull it out and read it.

If you go up the the Adults Only sticky, and download service manual 24 for your engine, it has the dipstick dimensions in section 3.

a70eliminator

Captain

One other thing. DO NOT just pull the dipstick out and read it, it will be incorrect.
Pull it out, wipe it off then put it back in all the way and pull it out and read it.

If you go up the the Adults Only sticky, and download service manual 24 for your engine, it has the dipstick dimensions in section 3.

Yes, and you also should give it at least 5 mins for the oil to seep back into the pan after being run.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Yes, and you also should give it at least 5 mins for the oil to seep back into the pan after being run.

That's what I was thinkin'

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes gentlemen, read the stick properly. Will make sure it's level from now on. The dry dipstick scared me pretty bad! And THANks again, Don!

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class

I once had a similar thing on my Merc 3.0l.

On checking the oil I found that there was hardly any in so I topped it up but next time I checked, it was way overfilled.

Turns out that when you push in the dipstick, it can feel as if it is seated but in reality the 'inverted cup' part of the dipstick isnt sitting over the spigot on the engine but merely resting on top, meaning that the dipstick is sitting higher that it should be.

Make sure that the dipstick really is pushed fully home to take the reading.

a70eliminator

Captain

I know what you mean too, also most boat engines have that windage tray, if the dipstick is bent just right (or rather wrong) it can spear in above that tray and not even touch the oil, I had that one happen to me before with a bent up dipstick.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Just remember too, a little oil low is better than too much oil.

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't see where you mentioned draining the two quarts to bring it back down to normal.

You did do that didn't you?