Brown Stripe Merc

crosman

Cadet
Hope someone can help me find out year of mercury. I want to get the motor running right. Looked for year online no help asked dealer no help. Its a brown strip mercury 50 h.p. 4 cylinder with a 2 piece cowling wrap around and snap amd top and front carb cover. Is this motor worth spending money on never had this old of a motor. Serial #A132984 found on trasom mount.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Brown Stripe Merc

The brown stripe implies somewhere around 1984,but if you give us the serial number we can pinpoint it a lot better.There is a small metal plate on the transom clamp that will show the serial number.Tell us and we will tell you the production year.
And about old...Most of these engines do not run much more than 20 maybe 30 hours a year,so they may have been made a long time ago,but they have hardly been used.
I have 3 1957 35 horse and one 1964 9.5 horse all Johnson/Evinrude engines.They all run well and I trust them more than the modern high tech outboards.

crosman

Cadet

Found serial # A132984 on transom clamp is there another one somewhere else. Maybe one motor itself ?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

That number does not appear to be the serial # it may be the transom mount part # .Was this number stamped into the metal or was it on a small plate attached to the transom clamp? Often when you stand or sit behind the engine(on the propeller side) you will see the metal plate with the numbers on the transom clamp.However,if that A turns out to be a B it would be 1987

crosman

Cadet

Hi Rolmops
That serial # is A on a metal plate you can see from prop side of motor