83 johnson 70 bogs after reaching full speed

hairball54

Recruit
i have an 83 johnson 70 (always freshwater). Starts great,idles well,will open up to full speed for about 2 minutes, then slowly bogs down, then will only run at hi idle (just enough to get me back to dock) i have replaced fuel hose, fuel tank, plugs,water pump impeller,have put sea foam in fuel, have checked fuel screen. engine ran great last year....i'm going nuts, and i don't want to "throw parts at it" i have a 30 year automotive backround. any ideas where to go from here ???? Thanks

petryshyn

Commander
Re: 83 johnson 70 bogs after reaching full speed

have you tried firming up the primer bulb when it bogs?

petryshyn

Commander

feel the head (or measure with infrared thermometer) to be sure its not overheating.

If not overheating, check for spark on each cylinder when it starts bogging. You may have a heat sensitive pack/coil/winding failure.

If spark OK, start by servicing the carbs. Possible you have poor flow to carb/carbs from debris stuck in needle & seat.

hairball54

Recruit

I'm starting to lean toward the carbs at this point. I did put my hand on the side of the block, and while quite warm, it was not burning hot. I put a water pump in it anyway, as I had no idea when it was changed last. Being a freshwater boat, usually there aren't head or block water jacket issues. The "pee stream" is strong, and the housing was in good shape when i put the impeller in. Carbs are not my strong point, but i can do them right. I've had boats for 35 years, but the last 20 have been outdrives, so a bit rusty on outboards (this one is my 22 year old daughters..gave her the fever !) I have never seen a boat act this way before, it will pull me out of the water ( 210 lb) for a mile, at 3/4 throttle, then fade out to the point where I'm not sure we are going to make it back. The next day, it will go thru the same thing. If I pull the plugs, they are clean, even burn. Maybe there is some " chum" in the float bowls, that clog the hi speed jets when at full power, then drop off when it sits for the night...very confusing.. I thank you for the help, and i don't want to be long winded, but the more info you have....

petryshyn

Commander

Did you check for spark quality?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

is the fuel tank vent open and clear?

those carbs are remarkably simple........

hairball54

Recruit

have not checked spark quality, but no sputtering, or any indication of misfire. vent is open & clear