Water and exhaust while idling

rocket350

Seaman Apprentice
While idling on muffs, should their be equal amounts of exhaust and water coming from both sides of the bottom outdrive?

It is lacking WOT RPMS by a few hundred, and I just thought of this. I replaced the exhuast flapper when I changed the engine b/c it was burnt up from a bad impeller. The pictures shows what I am talking about.

Maybe I have some rubber stuck? If this could be a problem, can I pull the riser and blow compressed air back up the outdrive?

3.0 Mercruiser w/ Alpha one

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

rocket350

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Water and exhaust while idling

No one can tell me if equal amounts of water should come out from both sides of the drive when on muffs?

davemoore

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just went through my entire exhaust system, as I thought I had a similar problem...

When I lost my impeller, I couldn't understand why no exhaust was coming out the prop and it was all coming out the two water holes.

After completely checking the exhaust path, I discovered that there was no blockage, and figured out that the only reason exhaust doesn't go out the two water holes (during normal operation) is because they are filled with water... when there isn't adequate (or any) water flow, the exhaust is going to go there...

So, I would venture to say that under "normal" conditions (in the water), you probably have adequate water coming through the holes, and all the exhaust is going out the prop...

An easy way to check it is to remove the exhaust riser and disconnect the exhaust bellows at the outdrive, and using your "shop-vac" put suction on the exhaust bellow while plugging the riser pipe. You will then be able to tell for sure if one of the water holes is plugged. If it is, try reversing the operation and put the suction on the exhaust riser while plugging the bellows - this should pull any loose pieces up into the shop-vac.

Hope this helps...

DM

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1. Yes, it's normal for more to come out one side than the other.

2. NEVER run your engine with it tilted up like that.

No one can tell me if equal amounts of water should come out from both sides of the drive when on muffs?

Don't get all excited, give people time to read your post and time for someone who knows to answer. Everyone is not just sitting around waiting for you to ask a question.
It's been less than an hour and a half since your original post.