Got a leak.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
Got a leak just above the galley. Check out the pictures...

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7218.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg

IMG_7221.jpg

IMG_7222.jpg

The fabric just below the window is bone dry. The fabric damp almost all around the rail piece. It's really wet at the bow rail though. This is the ONLY area that is wet in the boat with the exception of a forward hatch leak.

Where do you think it's coming from?

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Got a leak.

what does the outside look like there, no idea. could be hull joint behind rub rail leaking.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Was also thinking rubrail, caulk at rubrail, or is there a rail mount on the exterior side that could be allowing water in? Any galley (or any other) plumbing supply/discharge lines in that area?

lmannyr

IMG_7224_2.jpg

All plumbing is below the sink, along with the A/C.

All these picture were taken on the trailer. It has been raining for about 1.5 weeks now almost continuously.

tashasdaddy

yep rub rail joint, and water is wicking up the material. the bottom of the rub rail may be caulked, and trapping the rain water behind the rub rail, caulk the top also.

lmannyr

IMG_7229.jpg

This is rub rail just forward of the bow rail post you see in the above pics. As you can see it has separated a bit. Can I pry off the rubber right here to get to the screw and tighten it? Or do I have to pull the rubber off from one of the ends to this point, tighten, then put back on?

Also, all the caulking is gone on the rub rail. There is some left over in sections on the top but doesn't look like there was ever any caulking on the bottom of the rub rail. What should I use for the caulking? I know HD has 5200.

Thanks!!!

tashasdaddy

there is a joint in the fiberglass behind/ and under the rub rail. where the top and bottom are joined, 99% that joint is leaking, true it could be coming in some loose screws. 3m4200 not 3m5200.

lmannyr

I know home depot has 5200 for about 9 bucks. But they don't have 4200. Is there a HD alternative to 4200. WM has 4200 for 20 bucks locally:eek:. I'd like to get this done ASAP and not have to wait on shipping.

thanks!!

lmannyr

found 4200 10 oz. for 12 bucks :) around town.

lmannyr

Some of the wood on the opposite side of the rub rail was wet. replaced a 2 ft section that was easy to get to. I would have needed to remove the entire nose section of the aluminum part of the rub rail to remove the screws holding the wood on the inside. After I get better at docking, (hopefully by next year) I'll replace the rub rail and any wet wood behind it then. So a very nice thin bead was placed on top of the rub rail all the way around.

Next I removed one bow rail post at a time. Cleaned the surface with acetone. Filled the bolt hole and created a bed for the base with 4200. Hand tightened the post down. Not sure if I should torque it down while it's still wet or if wait till it's cured?

Did this to all the posts. Used only half a 10 oz tube for all of the above.

Any idea if I should tighten when wet or cured? THANKS!!