Garage door spring help

Nandy

Commander
Today when I closed the garage of my ex the darn spring broke. It was like an explosion. I had a very hard time getting the door open so she could take the car out as she and my son both haves different conditions that wont let them open the door. Plus is danm heavy ayway. I want to replace the spring. It is a double car garage door. I know this is a bit dangerous, but I am so broke I cant help any other way. Im very good at fixing things. Where should I look for the spring and any tips on how to change it will be great. I installed the door opener years ago, but the door was already in.

Thanks!!!

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Garage door spring help

Nandy whatever you do be extremely carefull . Garage door springs are not just dangerous they are dedly. You can replace it but I would recomend alot of reading before trying are there 2 springs one on either side or just one spring over the top of the door . The second option is the worst make sure you have a good concept of what you are doing before you touch it as I said those springs when under tension can honestly kill if you dont know what you are doing. You might try asking these guys great bunch much like here and total garage nuts :D.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

Rick

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ebay does list many. I had one break on me right at the end of the spring (last 3 inches) so I took my propane torch and re-bent the end where it attaches and it lasted till I sold the house.
The previous responder is dead on when he warned you about rewinding the torsion spring type. A co worker years ago tried it and lost control of the bars while winding and he now has a large permanent scar.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

If it is a typical 2 spring setup, its not that bad to do. Those springs can be had at Lowes. Just make sure you run a safety cable through the spring so that if it breaks again, it won't damage much :D......Torsion type, I would hire out due to being up on a ladder and them being dangerous.

Nandy

Commander

It is one spring only. I will try to get an estimate and go from there.
In case in changing it. Do I need the old one or is this a standard size?

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nandy as stated those things are bad news there is a special tool for them but here is an idea find an employee of a garage door company have him come over after his regular hours and pay him happily he will probably do it for about half the regular cost

Splat

Lieutenant

Honestly I would check around.

I had one replaced a year or 2 ago, and I think for them to come out to the house and replace one it was only like $40-50. I had them do both since he was allready up there and it was $70 for everything.

I know times are rough, but it may be worth just checking some local places, or as someone stated, see if a guy wants to come out after hours and do it.

As far as picking a size, you will need to count the number of turns in the spring and purchase one with the same number, or one longer athen cut it down. Also for tightening the spring, you tighten for a certain amount of complete turns. I can't remember the number. I'm sure a quick google search will do the trick. This is how the guy that came to my house did it.

Bill

Brokenjaw

Seaman Apprentice

It is a very easy and not as dangerous as people make it out to be.
First thing you do.
Look at the spring that broke if you still have it, if not the one that is still in use. The ring at the end of the spring, what color is it? Springs are made for different weights, go to Home Depot or Lowes and get the same color.
Second,
This is where people always mess up, I know i have done it, the spring connects to the angle iron from the ceiling BUY a new connector for the spring, you will never get the old one off the broken spring.
Third.
When replacing the spring, do it with the garage door OPEN, no tension on the spring that way. Then just install the spring and safety cable EXACTLY like the one on the other side that is still there.

The best thing to do.... Replace them both now. But Do the broken one first.

****** EDIT********

Never mind, did not see where he said it was the one spring type.
Get a professional to do it. LOL

gss036

Commander

The last time my overhead door spring broke, 2nd time, the guy fixing it told me I should go to the commercial grade spring and I would never have to worry about it again. I went that route, so now, I have to old springs laying around the shop. Mine is also an 18ft steel door.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

The special tool is a piece of bar stock bought at Home depot and cut in half.

Level the door sitting on the ground (most important step)

set your left drum first and clamp with visegrips.

SEt your right drum.

Only tighten set screws til they touch then half turn it never feels good enough but if you go to much you mushroom the shaft.

Every full turn of the drum should be 1' of lift so for a7' door do 28 quarter turns maybe 29

PM me if you need more I've install many.

jkust

Rear Admiral

This happened to me last winter. The guy that came out to fix it replaced it in almost no time at all. Apparently you replace springs in pairs. It cost me a couple hundred dollars but I used the company previously when my wife took the door off the track with the minivan hatch so I trusted the company. He made it look easy.

Nandy

Commander

Being a single torsion spring type on top of the door I can't get the spring locally. I wonder if one can change it to the other spring type that is available at the local hardware stores. If not I guess I will have to order it.