adjusting 5hp 4cyl tohatsu

outhere99

Seaman
I just started a new engine today. Fired right up, but wouldn't idle. I pulled the carb, and found some funk in the bowl. After cleaning everything (spray and compressed air) it ran better, but wouldn't idle. I don't know the year, but I think there are very few hours on this motor very clean).

Where is the idle mixture? The screw at the bottom of the float bowl seems to be just a drain.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: adjusting 5hp 4cyl tohatsu

What's your model?

The newer carbs for 4/5/6 4-strokes are "non-adjustable" mixture. Probably need a good carb cleaning -- soaking -- rather than just a spray-job.

outhere99

Seaman

my model is a MFS5A. (possibly a 2000)

I gave the carb a good cleaning (3 times), and blow out with compressed air. Replaced the fuel filter with a glass inline type. Seem to run better, but the same issue has came back after running a bit.

I adjusted the float to level with the carb body (inverted), but that didn't help. Seems to be a fuel delivery issue, or fuel quality problem. I popped the fuel line off the carb, and it was pumping a healthy steam (pulses). Next will be fresh(er) fuel from a different line and tank...

Any other ideas?

pvanv

Admiral

Sounds right. Test with fresh fuel. Likely still some junk in the wee passages in the carb. If all else fails, you may end up installing a new carb. BTW, the 6 hp carb will fit, and give you more output.

You could also check valve clearances to see whether some jerk set them too tight.