Can I leave the old foam in??

So, I have the deck off of my 95 Astro. The rot is partly because of the foam. I am going back with a pourable composite. Could i leave the foam in the hull can clean the rot out from between it and pour something like seacast or West System in the voids?

If not how do I get the foam out??

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Can I leave the old foam in??

So, I have the deck off of my 95 Astro. The rot is partly because of the foam. I am going back with a pourable composite. Could i leave the foam in the hull can clean the rot out from between it and pour something like seacast or West System in the voids?

If not how do I get the foam out??

The foam HAS to come out. no matter how long you
let it dry" its no good. use crowbars and hammer claws to rip it out.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

pulling foam has to be one of the most thankless tasks there is. I used a flat "wonderbar" type prybar, and a knife to section the foam in mine. Wear gloves though, as the bar WILL give you blisters after a while (mine are still healing), they have plenty of rough edges, and you WILL be using some force on it to get under the foam. Its worth it all in the end though.

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The foam HAS to come out. no matter how long you let it dry" its no good. use crowbars and hammer claws to rip it out.

I started with a wide carbon scrapper and a prybar. Got only about 2 sq foot up in over an hours work.

Changed to a spade shovel and got the rest out of my 16' runabout in another hour.

211367_front500.jpg

This left a bunch of little chunks still adhered to the hull, but those came out in no time with a carpet scrapper...

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The good ol' goon spoon can be a wonderful tool. ;)

Glad it did the job for you.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I started with a wide carbon scrapper and a prybar. Got only about 2 sq foot up in over an hours work.

Changed to a spade shovel and got the rest out of my 16' runabout in another hour.

This left a bunch of little chunks still adhered to the hull, but those came out in no time with a carpet scrapper...

now why the hell didnt I think of that when I was ripping my foam out????? :(