quick fix for a rubber bellow above the exhaust bellow in my lower unit

maggster

Cadet
I just discovered that I have a slice/hole just next to the clamp of my rubber bellow above the exhaust bellow in my lower unit. I would suspect that whoever was in there last used the wrong tool to adjust the clamp and missed the mark.
So my question is this, can I quick fix this with rubber cement or some other rubber adhesive to get through the end of this season. I know the correct fix is to take off the lower unit and replace it, but don't want/need the expense right now.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: quick fix for a rubber bellow above the exhaust bellow in my lower unit

Is the slice on the bellow side of the clamp or the outside edge? If it's on the bellow side it's going to leak. If water gets in you risk engine damage as well as sinking of your boat. Do you want to put a Band-Aid on that?

Bondo

Staff member

So my question is this, can I quick fix this with rubber cement or some other rubber adhesive to get through the end of this season. I know the correct fix is to take off the lower unit and replace it, but don't want/need the expense right now.

Nope,... Replace it or Sink your boat....
Btw,... With the Leak,... Your gimbel bearing,+ U-joints are running in Water,.. Not Grease...

maggster

Cadet

That's what I was thinking, was just hopeful that I could get away with an alternative short term fix.
Thanks ya'll.:cool:

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Short term fix on boats usually results in being stranded, sinking or blowing up. It's pretty tough to find anyone on here in support of band-aid fixes ;)

maggster

Cadet

Well, I'm just checking back to my posted question, and I decided to do the repair myself. We're into the sterndrive and things are going pretty smoothely. Was able to pull the gimbal bearing with a rear axel kit I 'borrowed' from a local auto store with a slide hammer :). Should be finished today and back on the water tomorrow.

Interesting comment about the book selection though. I bought the SELOC manual prioir to seeing 'danond's reply. I've had some questions about many things in this book and it seems to not address some things. Will look for the OMC service manual for future endeavors into my motor.

Am really enjoying marine motor work !

cr2k

Captain

You didn't mention anything about aligning the new gimbal brg. I hope you beg, buy, borrow or some how come up with an alignment tool, or you will be back apart again, and maybe have to remove the engine to replace the coupler.