Replacing the floor on my 18' Gruman GSF

Boomertony

Recruit
Newbie to the forum. I have traded for a 1988 Grumman 18' with a soggy floor. Besides opening the floor at the soggy spots I don't have much of an idea of what to do next. Are there any sites where I can find a floor plan or any completed projects that would give me an idea of next steps? Any help, advise, or thoughts will be appreciated.

tintug

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Replacing the floor on my 18' Gruman GSF

Hey Boomertony....Your in the right place....welcome...I am currently in my first rebuild as well and found alot of usefull info and suggestions here .I came across a deal on a 88' 17' blue fin she is aluminum and I knew it had a few soft spots in the floor when I got her. Now it is totally gutted out wiring and all. This forum will be able to help you through anything you need to know.When you have a chance post some pics so we can see what you got going on.This also helps the guys who are better at these resto's to better help you out. With my boat I took up the carpet to find alot more damage than I thought. Then the old deck came out too find all the foam water logged and rotting the underside of the deck. So the deck and foam came out. While doing this I seen the wiring was a hacked up mess......out with that too.....LOL...If it was me doing it again I would do the same thing as I just did. Take out the deck, Check the foam by taking samples,Take a good look at the transom....And ask for help on here if you need it and keep on reading these forums...Good luck and shout back, someone will help you out.

SS Flasher

Seaman Apprentice

I have completed three boats restorations and completely agree with TinTug. You are at the right forum. There is lots of really great information here. The three boats I have done all had soft spots in the floor. You may find the foam waterlogged or not, stringers and transom rotten or not. I have not worked on aluminum hulls but you can also check for electrolysis damage. This is the right forum to ask questions.

Boomertony

Recruit

Thanks buddy, this should be good for a few laughs

Boomertony

Recruit

with 3 under your belt you must have some stories. Guess I'll start digging around tomorrow. Thanks

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hey Boomertony...welcome to the forums:)

My advice is to check out some resto threads on the site...

here is a real gem of a resto on a Starcraft aluminum...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286412

The strategy is the same regardless of the size of aluminum hull so take a look and you'll find some solutions to problems you'll encounter.

Also you will get alot more help once you start posting photos;)

Boomertony

Recruit

I traded a 1977 16 ft. Mirrorcraft with a 30 Johnson. Except for the floor I did OK.