C90 Timing Help

goboatnow

Cadet
I am in need of some information for a 2001/02 Yamaha C90 (manufacture date Feb/01). One of my friends is having a few problems with this motor and we are trying to track down the timing for this motor. It is currently running at 10 degrees ATDC at idle. I don't remember any outboard running that retarded but I guess this could be the first. If anyone out there has a manual or the knowledge of what the timing for idle and WOT should be please help us out with that info. Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: C90 Timing Help

I have a 1999 40 hp that runs at 14 ATDC idle even though the pointer on the CDI box is pointed at the 7 degree mark but the mannual gives 7ATDC idle and 25 BTDC WOT. I believe most of the 3 cylinder motors about these years had the same timing. You need to find a manual for yours , they are usually around $20 or less on a CD.
I was told by one person to not worry about the idle timing because it was never correct just worry about the WOT timing, but no one has said that they have checked their timing and what their readings were. What kind of problems are you having with the 90

goboatnow

Cadet
Re: C90 Timing Help

Thank your for your reply. The issue that we were having is at idle and midrange throttle the motor would shake and and just run horribly until you get to a certain throttle (around 3500) that the motor would clean right up and take off. The engine had no problem at WOT and ran out to 5400 or so. So the problem was idle to mid range. I just went through the carbs and found some crap in the jet for the idle circuit but not a whole lot. It does run better on the hose (doesn't sound like its running on 1 cyl like it did before) but I just want to make sure that someone didn't tamper with the timing too. The pointer on the CDI box is pointing to the line that it is supposed to but just wanted to confirm that 10ATDC was correct for idle. I know that the idle timing directly affects the timing through the whole midrange. If it is too far retarded it may be too far retarded through the midrange until it reaches WOT timing. If anyone else has a manual or the same moter please let me know what your specs say. I don't know but a '99 40hp may or may not have the same timing...just looking for a more definate answer. Thanks