best way to trim boat

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My (new to me) Imperial deep V lists pretty good to whatever side I happen to be sitting on, what would be the best way to balance this out. I dont appear to have a problem with saturated foam, or such, but I do have a below floor gas tank (20 gallon) and the battery is on the same side as the helm (where I normally sit) I think smart tabs would help while underway, but is there anything out there other than a bunch of ballast that would help while docked or anchored out?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: best way to trim boat

Move the battery . . . ;) I love tabs, but you should try it.

ScottinAZ

easiser said than done, but I think I will give it a go. Wiring extensions here I come.......

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

put the boat in the water, dock it. then move the battery first before you make all new wiring for it, and make sure its going to achieve what you are looking for. thats what i would do, anyways. I would hate to re-do all the cables to have the same problem still.

ScottinAZ

im considering going with dual batts on this boat, so I have some wiring to do anyways. But, I think I will try this first. Then I can see if the second batt will do any more good without overcorrecting. Im a good 320 lbs, so it will take a bit of ballast to even me out.

QC

Supreme Mariner

With a Deep V the list will follow anything that moves. I am only 150 lbs and I can make my 23 footer list a lot, so you have to pick a condition (you at the helm) to try and achieve balance. Personally I would put a level at the helm while on the trailer and perfectly flat port to starboard. Then, when in the water as redone has suggested, I would move both batteries around return to the helm and check the level. Maybe easier with your boat, but the way my helm and bow are shaped it is a little hard for me to confirm that she's flat with my eyes.

Also, you will be surprised how much difference the two batteries will make. Considering your size I could see you having them both against the side of the boat to balance you out. With that said, when you are not at the helm she is going to list to port. I'd mount the switch and then make the cables long enough so you can put both as far outboard as the configuration will allow. If they end up too long, it's only a couple of new ends and cutting.

ScottinAZ

Sounds good, I will try to get the batteries outboard, most likely one on each side, as, I have jumpseats on either side of the splashwell (current single batt is on the starboard side) Last time out I had both batts on one side, along with a spare gascan. All on the stbd side with me, so that is a bunch of weight to balance (~50lbs a batt, and the ~20 lbs of gas, plus me) I will also be storing a bunch of the gear in the bow on the port side, Hopefully this will help balance everything out.

a70eliminator

Captain

By moving the battery to port, you not only adding weight to that side your also taking weight off the starboard, so it like doubles the effect.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Agree ^^^ try both over there if you need to. I wouldn't commit to any plan until you have tested on the water.

ScottinAZ

didnt plan on final mounting anything until I get it trimmed where I want it. Too expensive to do it that way (so I guess I have to go against normal protocol here :D)

Heck I would be happy if I could get it to sit even keeled with no load in it. As I stated, I was a bit of a dumbass and left all the crap on one side, and then I tried to sit there with it all.