Starter Questions

NewBoater25

Cadet
I have a 1967 80 HP Johnson model # 80753 M Serial # E02761. Last time out the starter started smoking and when you tried to start it the only thing that happened was click. I have been through the repair manual and looked at previous posts and am almost sure that it is the starter itself. I used a volt meter and have 12 volts all the way up to the red wire on the starter. I was hoping someone could tell me if I am right or wrong on needing a new starter. Also if it is the starter what is the part number and where would I find the cheapest one?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter Questions

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

NewBoater25

Cadet
Re: Starter Questions

Thanks for the info. I have cleaned all the connections because as an electrician I know how it is. I have also tried the jumper cable and still nothing. So I will check the battery but I think it is the starter, but I will test the solenoid as well just to double check.