Whats the best, cheapest hull cleaner you have used?

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Any Ideas For Me. Was Thinking About Toilet Bowl Cleaner Would This Harm Anything

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Whats the best, cheapest hull cleaner you have used?

Mo-Jo waterless hand cleaner from the auto store. wipe it on with a rag and rinse it off. Works wonders.

TilliamWe

Banned

Toilet Bowl cleaner will only harm your trailer if you let it sit. Best to cover galvanized though.
Might not want to let it sit on any decals on the boat. But Oxylic Acid is the active ingredient in hull cleaner, and toilet bowl cleaner. TB cleaner is MUCH less expensive.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I used to use "On and Off" but discovered the toilet bowl cleaner trick.

I get mine from Dollar Tree. It's called "The Works!" and guess what- it REALLY WORKS! I just stopped today and got 2 bottles.
No scrubbing needed to remove that brown stain- just wipe it on and watch the hull turn white (or whatever color it was).
BTW- I usually hose down the hull thoroughly after using oxalic acid. Never had an issue.
I protect the trailer with cut-up plastic dropcloths.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Ketchup works for the brown stains. Its just not cost effective.

Lemon juice works great.

On-Off works, but is expensive and can kill you if you stand down wind.

You can get muriatic acid at a pool supply store.

Another trick to wash the boat is to use laundry detergent

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I have used Swish toilet bowl cleaner but cut it 50% with water. Full strength makes me too nervous. Anything meant to scour porcelain crappers clean has got to be harsh for gelcoat. On and Off (at 10 times the price) works about as well as 50 / 50 toilet bowl cleaner and water.

Also, be sure to rinse really, really well. (And not near the lake!) Especially if your boat was cleaned on a bunk trailer and the carpet got saturated with the nasty stuff.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Wally World and Attwood biodegradable hull cleaner. Cut it down 1 cup to a gallon of water and apply it using a garden sprayer. $7.95 cleans the bottom of my 22' boat 4 times. Best thing its biodegradable. No hazardous fumes

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

ok thanks guys

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wally World and Attwood biodegradable hull cleaner. Cut it down 1 cup to a gallon of water and apply it using a garden sprayer. $7.95 cleans the bottom of my 22' boat 4 times. Best thing its biodegradable. No hazardous fumes

thats what I've been using....didnt think to cut it...been using it full strength and it works great.....would love to have it last 4 times as long!!

txlawdog

Cadet

thats what I've been using....didnt think to cut it...been using it full strength and it works great.....would love to have it last 4 times as long!!

I tried looking this stuff up: what's the actual name of the hull cleaner?