You Gotta Be Kidding!!!!

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I?m a complete newbie reading and researching these boards. I came across lots of posts regarding engine blower issues?something I knew absolutely nothing about.

I couldn?t believe my eyes. Am I understanding this right: Are boats still exploding because of engine compartment fumes?

Allow me a brief, hysterical rant here:

I find that incomprehensible! Forty years ago we put a man on the moon, but today I can turn the key of my boat and go KABOOM!

It would seem to me?mechanical and technical idiot though I may be?that some solution would have long ago been discovered to alleviate this problem. Some solution other than a manually operated blower fan?that can so easily be forgotten by the skipper.

In a society as litigious as ours, with the guarantee of a multi-million dollar law suit from the survivors of such a catastrophe, wouldn?t it behoove manufacturers to rush into production some automated, near fool proof method to end this problem.

Or is the likelihood of an explosion so rare and the cost of a solution so prohibitive that it?s cheaper to keep things as they are?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: You Gotta Be Kidding!!!!

Yup. Go with an outboard.

salty87

Commander

the vast majority of people seem to be able to handle the inherent risks. walking across the street is dangerous too.

please no more government. let me live my life.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree. At least boats should maybe have a warning buzzer when turning the key (instead of starting), if the blower hasn't been run in a while.

Or maybe, turning the key should start the blower, and not let you start for a couple of minutes.

Or some kind of bilge gasoline sensor.

Or do what I do. Only get boats with outboards.

Jim

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

RIB, After a while you get used to running the blowers, out of habit. Most carb Sterndrives also require you to set the control to throttle only, and pump the throttle to set the choke. Sometimes you got to pump and crank at the same time to start 'em.

The minute I get the cover off, I turn on the blower. Iam sure I have forgotten it occasionally, but I have never had enough fumes for it to be an issue. knock on wood.....

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Forty years ago we put a man on the moon, but today I can

1. turn the key of my boat and go KABOOM!
2. drive my car and die
3. fly in a plane and die
4. fall out of my boat and drown
5. fall off a ladder at my house and die
6. [insert way to die here]

I suppose it's easier to lay the responsibility of running your blower before you fire up your I/O than it is to design a safety device and face litigation if it fails.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

there is this thing called the KISS principle
keep
it
simple
stupid
and if all you have to remember before you turn the key is to turn on the blower, thats pretty simple.:)
rob

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I suspect that if it were likely that a boat would explode by starting without blowing, there would be some form of ignition interlock, constant fan, etc. You have to assume that lots of people forget, yet we're not seeing mushroom clouds every Saturday morning at the marinas. Knowing what I do about products liability, that tells me that the risk of explosion is slight, but obviously still a risk.

Think of it this way: if it were probable that your car would explode if you didn't replace the gas cap, you wouldn't be able to start it unless the cap was on.
You need a lot of fumes (and therefore a lot of leaking gasoline) and a lot of sparks to ignite an engine compartment, neither of which occurs except in cases of major defects.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a bilge full of fuel running the blower for 5 mins is not going to remove the hazard from the engine conparmtment. You still have a bilge full of fuel.

Even then its probably only going to burn, not explode it needs to be finely atomized to explode. how is that going to happen with a fuel leak...

a blower is to remove heat from the engine compartment, and fumes not liquid fuel!

You have to check manually for fuel!!
i start the blower, check for fuel, then start the engine.

Catastrophic boat explosions are from propane systems on board not leaking fuel they create fire IMHO.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some solution other than a manually operated blower fan?that can so easily be forgotten by the skipper.
There's also that little placard in the engine room that reminds you to use the blower when fueling and before starting :DSome fella had his boat blow up and sink right at the fuel dock this spring, looking at the condition of his boat when he pulled up to the fuel dock, I don't even think the guy had a working blower. Come to think about it, it probably would have blown up eventually anyway.:eek:

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

There have been fume detectors available for boats for some 50 years now -
JW Sniffer was one. Now there are products that will do this automatically:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=7673
I know blowing you and your boat to smitherings is a very avoidable, it's just a matter of following your checklist. I know, easier said than done but believe me, it's a whole lot easier to run the blower than find yourself in the water surrounded by burning gas and body parts !!!!!:eek:

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Another advantage of an outboard that I haven't seen mentioned:
When starting to move, you can glance back there and see which way the drive is facing.

On the other hand (and I've never even heard of this happening) I suppose it's possible that with an OB boat, a below-deck fuel line could crack and seep a bit of gas into the bilge - then if the auto or manual bilge pump kicks in, it COULD create a spark and blow up the OB boat.

That's why, even though I have OB boats, I give the bilge area a frequent 'sniff test'.

bhammer

Ensign

Catastrophic boat explosions are from propane systems on board not leaking fuel they create fire IMHO.

The last several boat explosions at my local lakes were from fuel on open bows, and didn't even have propane installed. Most of those occured during or right after fueling. I know of two that happened right in the middle of the lake. One, because I know that guy, was his stupidity for changing the water seperator and not properly doing a leak check. Insurance investigated and found that the filter was leaking and caused the problem. They still paid the claim. He managed to get out in the middle, stopped to let the kids swim, too rough and they decided to head to a cove. He cranked and about 5 seconds later, kaboom. He was not running hte blower the second time so who knows if it would have helped.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I was watching some water cops show and they stopped a boat and just in the background you can see,and hear, someone blow the cowl off a Honda outboard so they can go too.

Gas burns so anyhting that uses it can blow up, thats just how it is.

QC

Supreme Mariner

If Gasoline was introduced today it would never make it as a vehicle fuel . . .

oshkoshboating

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree. At least boats should maybe have a warning buzzer when turning the key (instead of starting), if the blower hasn't been run in a while.

Or maybe, turning the key should start the blower, and not let you start for a couple of minutes.

Or some kind of bilge gasoline sensor.

Or do what I do. Only get boats with outboards.

Jim

Do I smell a patent idea, Jim?

:D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It would be more dangerous not to be able to start for "a couple of minutes." Given how so much boat equipment fails, especially in salt water, I wouldn't want any hardwired interference.
Too much safety can kill you.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

It would be more dangerous not to be able to start for "a couple of minutes." Given how so much boat equipment fails, especially in salt water, I wouldn't want any hardwired interference.
Too much safety can kill you.

expectially when you quicky need to move the boat IE avoid a collision at anchor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

myself, I say REMOVE most all warning labels and in a few years the gene pool will correct itself.
I dont need a label warning me not to use my hair dryer in the shower nor one teeling me not to stand at the top of the step ladder nor one telling me not to rest the ladder on a power line.
I also dont need one relling me to check for fuel vapors in my totally enclosed engine box.
ALWAYS simply OPEN the box, LOOK around, SNIFF a bit, turn the blower ON wait a few minutes and fire that hummer up, with the box still open and then INSPECT for water leaks,fuel leaks,oil leaks and such.
once we get stupid people out of the gene pool litigation will subside and travel here on the outer banks will be nice again.
kinda like dope, legalize it,tax it and in 6 years life will be good.
crime will fall to nothing,the dopers will either OD and die or get rehabbed and with no profit motive the crime rate will fall to nothing.
look up Prohibition profits 1920's.