What are these?? Need Help!

Ofc Noobie

Cadet
Found this boat on craigslist, and it looks fairly good to me. But, I was curious about something. In the third picture, does anyone know what the two black things are to the right of the outdrive? I've never seen them. Any help would be appriciated...and of course, feel free to chime in on your opinion of the boat in general. Thanks!

http://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/1281049871.html

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What are these?? Need Help!

If your talking about the long lines, one is speedo and the other is the transducer cable for depth sounder.

ziggy

Admiral

i think lakegeorge answered yer question. so i'll comment on the boat.
nice looking boat....

but

a 170hp mercruiser.... i suspect it's a 470 version engine. if so. ya should read this prior to deciding if that's the boat for you... http://www.sterndrives.com/470information/470coolantleakrepair.html

might also do a search on iboats for the 470 version engine too. lots has been said...

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

I'm assuming this is your first boat due to the question.
Nice rig for short dollars, have a marine tech take a look at it, survey would be best, at minimum take it out for at least 30 minutes and do a compression check. If they refuse to let you run it, walk.
Good luck and let us know the end results.
Lance

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The boat looks like it is in generally good condition and the price is pretty low, so an inspection is definately in order. My guess is that the price either reflects issues that are not easily seen in photos, or engine/outdrive issues. This is not to say that any of them would be deal killers, but its best to know exactly what you are facing, should you make the purchase.

One thing that I would definately look at, is how the ski/tow bracket is backed. Those long, angled legs surely must exert a great deal of stress on the transom. If the bracket is not backed with a very large plate, which would spread the stress load considerably, I would be very leary of the condition of the transom.

I'm not an "I/O guy," so I don't know if this type of tow bracket is common, but it strikes me as a very poor design.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like a decent boat.

Try to get the service history. Looking for the usual things; oil/oil filter changes, lower unit gear lube change/inspection, water pump impeller serviced, etc.

Make sure there are no softspots on the floor. If the floor has been replaced, try to find out who did it and how it was done.

A good test ride as noted above should give you a feel for how it runs. You want to know how it starts when cold and when hot. Pay particular attention to the engine temp (should be a gauge on the dash) over the course of the test run. Also make sure the boat has no water in the bilge before you start and then check it again when you are done.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Pretty clean boat for 26yo. I would get a survey if your not familiar with boats. My main concerns would be the compression and weight of the boat. Find out what the boat weighed new and compare to see if it has taken on water. But if interior condition is any indicator of how it has been maintained, it looks like a good deal to me.

ziggy

Admiral

i blew up pic 3. looks like a dark stain just under the drain hole. to me that's one indicator of wood rot of the deck or stingers or transom. the stain may be from rot juice (mushed up wet wood mixed with water) dripping out that drain.

i also don't see a pic with the center windshield closed. try closing it. if it don't close proper that would be another sign of possible rot...

i agree a survey would be nice. though perhaps not practical (cost prohibitive) for a smaller speed boat. ya might try googleing buying a used boat. when i bought mine i went equipped with a list 4 pages long i'd found on the www. i went through them 1 by 1 in ft. of the previous owner too much to his dismay.

also, don't believe anything the seller says. the owner is motivated to say anything he wants to, to sell their boat. weather it be fact or fiction.. you need to do you own test to ensure all is well prior to buying.... like others said too. no sea trial, no sale. ya gotta have a sea trial...

i still think ya should find out if it's the 470 version engine. that was an engine i didn't want to have for reasons stated in the link in my previous statement...

Ofc Noobie

Cadet

Thanks for the help and opinions guys! Unfortunately, I haven't received a reply back from the seller when I asked when he could set up a time to show the boat. On to the next I guess. Thanks again for the help and advice.