New to the formum, new to boats

rockvillage

Recruit
am looking at a 1998 Sunbird Neptune Center Console 23' with a 2000 200hp Evinrude. It comes with a Long roller trailer in execellent condition, all electronics, a potty in the console. Live bait well, built in cooler all the regular stuff, ancor fire extingusher, life jackets, T-bag, T-top for 13,500. I have been looking for a boat for Cape cod bay and on good days to go farther. I go on a sea trial on Sunday. I cant sleep or shut my mind off, dont want to make a mistake buying this boat, for the $ I cant seem to find anything else in this class.
Does this seem fair for what I have been reading is an entry level boat? I have a 10k budjet would love a Sea Craft of other big name boat but just a family guy trying to get out on the water. Any comments, I have been up all night thinking.

Thanks,

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New to the formum, new to boats

You should get a survey done on that boat. A professional survey will cost you roughly $13 a foot plus the cost of pulling it out of the water (if it isn't trailered), and is worth its weight in gold. The survey may pay for itself in bargaining chips, but most importantly it will tell you exactly what if anything is wrong with it. If you're financing the boat the lender may require a survey, and many insurance companies also require it before they will insure it.

Also keep in mind that boats require regular maintenance, and things will go wrong with it. If your budget is stetched too tight, you won't be able to afford the maintenance -- which will lead to more costly repairs.

There's also the cost of running it. The price of fuel isn't going to go down.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Two most exciting times of a boat owner...
1 - Buying the boat.
2 - Selling the boat.

In between, there can me countless hours of enjooying the boat.

Protect yourself from staree-eyed, tunnel vision. That's good advise to have it professionally assessed.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Yep -- definitely get a professional survey which includes an engine lookover. Can't really speak to the price as I've never been in the market for a boat that size but I'd say do your comparative shopping to get an idea of what the average asking prices are. If a particular boat is way outside the usual going range ask yourself why. Maybe real low hours for the age if it's on the high end or some real nightmare waiting to bite you if the boat is many thousands below others of comparable size and power. Could also be owner circumstances, but treat it as a red flag til you can satisfy yourself you know what the reason for the screaming deal is.

Good luck and post pics!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

rockvillage

Recruit

I now offically had one of the two best days of owning a boat!. I bought a 23' Sunbird Neptune CC. Pictures can be found here. http://craigspic.com/303/71014/1245965217-953.JPG.php#browse. I went out on Narragansette bay for a test run, WOW. This is big for me, going from a 16' runnabout to this. I had several boat owner frineds check it out, got two thumbs up from them all. Now the hard part, finding the time to get out. I might be able to calm down enough so finally sleep. Thanks for all the advice given, I am glad to be part of the forum. Hope to have some good fishing stories to tell.

Attachments

• Sunbird Bow.jpg
    Sunbird Bow.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Sunbird Stern.jpg
    Sunbird Stern.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Sunbird Console.jpg
    Sunbird Console.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0

pduquette

Ensign

Great looking ride rockvillage ! Nice to have a new member in the area too!
peter