Wireless Motor Guide Troubles

curtmerci

Recruit
After months of research I bit the bullet and bought a Motor Guide wireless trolling motor. 55lb. thrust 48 inch shaft. When sitting in the front of the boat right next to the trolling motor itself, the remote foot pedals work great. Go to the back of my 16 ft aluminum jon boat.... and the responce is terrible. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. All functions are the same, on off, left right, etc. So I just figured the battery in the foot pedals was bad....bought 2 new batteries, replaced the original one and still had a spare. Same problem.... I have NO other electronics on this boat.... a jon boat with this trolling motor so interference is out. Now the real problem....called Motor Guide. They gave me my local service dealers location. Told me to let them know that I need to try a different foot pedal or key fob to see if the problem is the original pedal. Service dealer didn't have anything for the wireless motors....said the would have to send in my pedals to determine IF that is the problem....6 to 8 weeks!!!! Unacceptable...called Motor Guide back. Told them all I want is for them to send me a new pedal to see if that is the problem and I would send the original back if that was the case or if that didn't slove the problem I would send back the new pedal....wouldn't do it!!!! My only option they said is to send the whole motor and everything in for service!!!! They will not send me a new pedal or even a key fob to diagnose the problem. So I spend 600 bucks on a motor, it has a 3 year warranty and I won't have it for the rest of the summer!!! Anyone have this kind of trouble with Motor Guide or the wireless trolling motors? Is it too much to ask of Motor Guide to send me a different pedal assy.? Service dealer also told me that if I do buy another wireless pedal (another 100 bucks) that its not returnable.....Also I called Bass Pro Shops and they told me that they don't do the warranty work on the trolling motor. Any other ideas? I can't spend another 100 bucks and I don't want to have to go without a trolling motor the rest of the summer....

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Wireless Motor Guide Troubles

I got a keyfob with the motor. Outside of a few times on the front casting deck, the foot pedal hasn't been used. Stored away in case the keyfob dies.

I can't speak to their service.

I picked-up a second keyfob on ebay for about $30. Might be a way to go for you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have used my foot control once, no problems. actually really don't know the exact where abouts my foot control. i love using the key fob, and have not used anything else in the last 3 years. the motor has been on atleast 3 boats, and now have a second deck plate so i can move it from either boat easily. i can move all over my 20 ft pontoon, and control the boat.

tmfd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a bid on Ebay for a wireless fob. So I've only used the foot control so far. Been quite happy with it but would like the added convenience of the handcontrol. It's really amazing actualy, a wireless trolling motor. Not so long ago this was space age gimmickry, we've come a long way baby!!

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I have a Min Kota power drive with wireless and footcontroler. Mine is 5 - 6 yrs old and I got serious problems with both controlers stasrting last year.
It turned out to be all the contacts just needed cleaning. Since yours is new, this is probably not your problem but it's a free check so maybe give it a try.