no water out of power flow holes

TheToad

Cadet
I'm not getting water out off the power flow holes at wide open throttle on my 88 mer 125 force it this normal or do i have a problem.

this motor had not been ran for 5 yrs prior to this.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: no water out of power flow holes

Do you mean the exhaust relief holes above the water line at an idle?

At WOT the exhaust air speed is substantial, most likely the cooling water is simply blowing straight down with the majority of exhaust gases and exiting below.

How is the operating temp, can you touch your hand on the cyl block for a three count?

Is there a strong 'P' stream?

How old is the water pump impeller, more than one year, no more than 2?

TheToad

Cadet

yes i mean those holes. yes at idle i get prenty of water out of the relief.

the motor seems to be cooling just fine, but i have never tried grabbing the block.

as for the impeller its probably 5 yrs old thats why i was worried about not getting water out the relief holes at wot. I know they go bad quite often but with as much water i was getting at idle i didnt think it was bad(i'm not saying it wouldnt be a great idea the change it before i have i serious problem with it either)

i'm new to boating what is a "P" stream if you are refuring to the water coming from the holes its great but like i said above only at idle.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

5 years!!!!!!

Change it, before it dies without warning and costs you a total engine rebuild!

It is very much cheap insurance against the costs of a rebuild. Do it at LEAST every other year.

Many models outboard have a small hose tapped into the cooling system, squirting a small stream of water out the lower side of the cowling to indicate that the water pump is supplying water. The strength of the stream is a indicator of water pressure.

TheToad

Cadet

ya i plan on doing it tommorow, as far as i know i do not have the tapped line to indicate water pressure other then the 2 holes all the way at the top.

and thank you very much for the help.