lower unit probs

merc110

Recruit
I have a 1967 merc 110 9.8 and I just replaced the lower unit, and now it is always in the forward gear. If anybody has any tips I would really appreciate it. Thanks fellas

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: lower unit probs

Hi,

Your shift shaft spline is either engauged in the wrong spline or you missed the upper spline all together when you put the LU back on.

het merc 110 I have a 65 9.8 short shaft and can not get the shift shaft into the lower unit for so god for saken reason did you have this problem do you by any chance have a digram on this lower unit??? How did you make out with the shift problem any luck ???

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

freakin' A! you guys aren't alone. I just put my lower unit back on, and screwed the same thing up. I know what these veteran guys mean when they say "buy a manual for your motor before you start"! I'm going to pull the thing part way off and see if I can turn it to a different spot. I had a heck of a time getting it to line up, and should have taken more time. I just kept turning until it went. any help for this would be good. I'm open to suggestions, and not too proud to ask for help. thank's; Gregory

blazer81.6

Seaman

First thing be patient when changing a lower......can be expensive. You have three parts to line: shift shaft, drive shaft, water pump and if that isn't enough you have the alignment of the lower. Place your shifter in forward before beginning. Place your lower in forward as well. Your drive shaft well be the first to align, turn flywheel counter clockwise until it slides up.
Your shift shaft should move around enough for application, then your water pump pipe. Its nice to have two people when changing lowers...comes in handy...Blazer