Will a plain old tarp work as a boat cover?

harpjames35

Seaman
I just bought my first boat. Definately nothing real pretty, but sure halls a**, and is a great fisher. I keep it in the driveway at home, and plan on using it every weekend. I want to know if using a plain old tarp from walmart and bungee cords to hold it down will work as a sufficient boat cover for the elements :confused: . I live in the Sunshine State, so we dont get any snow, but we sure can catch a large amount of rain at times. Thanks everyone.

envy83

Seaman
Re: Will a plain old tarp work as a boat cover?

A cover is just that, something that covers the boat. If you can strap the tarp down tight enough to keep the rain out of the interior then its doing its job. Make sure that eyelets on the tarp aren't rubbing the hull and waters not pooling and your set.

beckerdg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can us a tarp, but will probably need to arrange something to keep the water from pooling. That is usually true with a boat cover too. I used to use a plain tarp like you described. It lasted about 1 season after that it was flaking plastic dust all over.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live here in the northeast, where we get snow, but... You are going to want to build a frame over your boat, made of 2x4's and secure it. Cover any joints or sharp points with small squares of cheap carpet. You can just use staples or brads.<br /><br />I use the standard blue tarp... Use 'clothes line' cord to secure it to the trailer. Use every grommet. Leave the transom somewhat open for some ventilation. Make sure that the tarp is tight, ot it will wear holes, and leave blue dust all over your boat. If its done right, it looks pretty professional, and your neighbors will be pretty happy too.<br /><br />My tarp held about 2 feet of snow this winter before shedding it on its own. Most of it falls off the day after a snowstorm. As you stated you dont get snow, however, ponds of water on top will leak through eventually. Well after breeding tons of mosquitos.

harpjames35

Seaman

TopNotch:<br /><br />Do you mean to build like a "tent" for the boat? I don't quite understand what you mean by building a frame out of 2x4's. But it sounds interesting and would like to hear more. If its a tent youre talking about, thats out of the question. My neighbors will kill me, as well as sick the homeowner's association on me. But please elaborate for me. Thanks everyone.

harpjames35

Seaman

When using the tarp from walmart that is silver on one side and blue on the other, should I NOT put the blue side down? Will the blue side being down stain the boat in any way? I was thinking of putting the silver side facing out because it would a little more "pleasent", (if thats possible) than the blue side being out.

beckerdg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think TopNotch meant to build a frame that sits on the boat to provide some slope from the center of the boat to the gunwales so that it will shed water rather than let it pool in the tarp. I used 1" pvc pipe to build a frame, but was not too worried about holding a huge amount of snow and ice.

bbtruck01

Cadet

Hey a tarp works great , like everyone siad you need something to prop up the center to make rain run off . A simple 2x4 from stern to bow is what I used under my tarp on my 1973 Carvelle & it worked fine!<br /><br /> Bubbatruck

harpjames35

Seaman

My boat has a steering console that makes the profile of the boat awkward. For my situation, a simple 2x4 laying from bow to the back would actually be lower than console, so would not help any. And console is off to the side. Any suggestions?

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On previous boat, I used some PVC pipe to hold cover up. Two biggest problems the tarps is the "dust" already mentioned once it gets a little age on it and moisture. Be sure to provide a method for moisture to get out or you'll have lots of mold/mildew. Ideas I've seen are 12V fan with solar power, bucket of non-match lite charcoal, other special absorbant materials.

Ralph 123

Captain

Do you like the boat? Did you sepnd a lot for it or invest a lot of time or money in it? Do you want to keep it nice? Then buy a fitted cover from iBoats (I bought the sharkskin and it is awesome) or pay to have the boat shrink wrapped. <br /><br />Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.<br /><br />I used tarps last year and almost came to regret it deeply. I dodged a bullet and I'm not going to make that mistake ever again.

harpjames35

Seaman

I only paid 800 for the boat/trailer. I inherited a motor that I threw on it (Evinrude 88 hp). So I don't want to spend 100-200 dollars for a boat cover. Thats already 1/4 of what I paid for it. I'll stick to the tarp. Everyone gave me good ideas.

Ralph 123

Captain

I wouldn't think of how much you paid for it but how much it would cost you to replace it.

harpjames35

Seaman

Its ok buddy. I think a tarp will suit me just fine. After hearing responses to this post, I don't have any reason to believe otherwise.

Ralph 123

Captain

No problem. But I bet by the time you are finished in time and materials and taking into consideration the quality of the solution you will have wished you spent the money for a cover that you can put on and take off quickly and use year round. Especially if you plan on using the boat weekends... a fitted cover takes minutes to put on and take off and props give you the right angles to provide excellent runoff and prevent pooling.

dakotashooter2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Run a piece of heavy rope from the bow back to the top of the motor and get it as tight as you can. This will help form a tent over the boat. It will sag som but will still provide enough slope to allow water an d debris to slide off.

rrichard

Seaman Apprentice

I've used a tarp for two years (yeah, the same one) and it works fine. To keep it from sagging in the back and pooling, just stick a removable pole in the center of the deck to prop the tarp up. They sell plastic adjustable poles for this purpose at Kmart (maybe $20 at most)

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a nice canvas boat cover that mildewed and rotted after one year (yes, I took care of it). The sauna we call Louisiana was to blame. I went to Walmart, bought a 12X24 heavy duty tarp for $20 -- I also bought six shock cords. I must say, it does a fantastic job as long as you keep it from pooling. Frankly, in the south, I think the tarp is just as good. I regret having spent $250 on a canvas cover that lasted a year. To each his own...

braindead0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm using a cheap tarp as well, I built a PVC ridge pole, with a couple of 'legs' going to the deck, in the middle I used a X fitting and have a PVC pipe across the top of my windshield, with t fitting cut to attach to the windshield and elbows on the end so the tarp isn't up against the sharp corners.<br /><br />After I get it all finished and adjusted, I'll post pictures of the frame.. seems to work great.. at least on rain ;-)

harpjames35

Seaman

Thanks everyone. Im glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't want to spend 200+ dollars on a boat cover (especially in my case where the boat is already old and the cover would be about 1/4 of the price of the entire boat!!) I'm interested to see those pics braindead!