Opinions please...looking at first boat.

jajaholley

Recruit
I am a longtime sailor looking for my first powerboat. Looking for a CC for fishing and family excursions.<br /><br />I have found a 18' Wellcraft CC that I am interested in. The Engine is a 125 hp Force of the same year. The boat is clean and the engine appears to run well (it starts and moves the boat up to around 40 mph). <br /><br />The owner has only owned the boat since spring and he told me he bought it just for the summer and was going to sell. <br /><br />I have a couple of questions.<br /><br />Should I get the boat surveyed?<br />How much should I offer? (he is asking $6,999)<br /><br />I also noted when I opened the well where the battery is the blown foam flotation is exposed. The foam in the transom of the boat is very wet. Is this normal for a powerboat?<br /><br />A couple of comments by the owner has led me to believe he would take a much lower price.<br /><br />He has mentioned to me that he had the engine serviced and the technician told him hopefully he could get 3 years or so from the engine before it needs replace. But that the engine is essentially not worth anything.<br /><br />Any help is greatly appreciated!<br /><br />Thanks.

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Opinions please...looking at first boat.

i myself would stay away from it! there are lots of really good boats in that price range. keep searching, dont get in a big hurry. the boat you choose should be one that will last a very long time. good luck!<br /><br />ps. if you dont know much about boats, you should have a survey done.

Bondo

Staff member

Wellcrafts are Fine boats...<br />But a Force is Not the greatest motor... And this 1 is a Sick 1 Already......<br />3 years Could Really be 3 Minutes..????

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

exposed wet foam is not normal, if you can see the foam as you describe then the boat is probably a sponge, Wellcrafts are good boats, but any boat is only going to be as good as the care given by the owner...be patient a good boat for you will come along, Even if you got the mentioned Wellcraft for 1/2 the asking price, is the saving going to cover the cost of a replacement motor, rebuilt transom/floor/stringers. If you are going to buy a used boat then a survey is a good idea, you may have to spend a few hundred extra bucks, but could save you from buying a money pit.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Wet foam/hull/transom, not good at all.<br /><br />And way too much money, in my opinion.<br /><br />You say they are the same year, but didn't mention what year they are. ?????<br /><br />Unless you want to spend next year rebuilding the boat/motor, instead of boating, I would keep looking.

Link

Rear Admiral

jimbojones <br />You Traitor! My Wife got me into sailing 20 plus years ago!Then years after we were married and started looking for a boat she said sailing was too much work! :( <br />Anyway I'm going to throw hat in with roscoe and the rest on this.. walk away and look for a better deal<br /><br />Link

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like an overpriced tub of wet mulch. Stay away!

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Do a couple of searches here on this forum.<br /><br />A search for 'first boat' returned 40 hits alone in 'Boats' forum.<br /><br />Getting a boat takes some homework. Listen to your better half as well (boats tends to either unite or do part). Remember also, that your heart must be with you. As you going to spend a lot time together over the years, you better get one you 'love' :cool: