RPM's at idle

Biggs033

Cadet
I have a new 08 Q6 F/S, I have been having some minor problems with the idle of the boat. I took it in, and they said that the idle screw has never been set. So they did it. The next time out, it seemed to be idling a little low, so I adjusted it myself while on the lake. Now it seems to be idling a little high. I was just wondering what should I be idling at RPM wise. When it seems to low, I can start the boat fine on a cold engine at the dock, but every time I go to put it in gear it dies out. Once the boat is warmed and running a while, I don't have this problem. I guess I should just take it in to them, but thought I would try the forum first. Thanks for any replies!!!! All in all, I have really liked the boat, especially now that my trim tabs are on!!!! But I must say that Bass Pro has been non responsive twice on messages I have left about the boat. Thanks All!!

rdhawk1950

Seaman
Re: RPM's at idle

You want your idle at between 600-800 rpm as per Merc specs. You DO NOT WANT TO USE GAS WITH ETHINAL. Ethinal when stored or set for a period draws moisture, yes actually condinsates. A fuel stabilizer is perfered even with regular gas to prevevt the gas from cloging filters and the carb. If you store your boat as you would in the winter you really need to run the carb. dry.At this time I would add a gas treatment, carb cleaner. Even with good regular gas it gets stale over the winter, It may take a tank or two with a cleaner to notice a drastic change

Biggs033

Cadet
Re: RPM's at idle

Thanks, for your reply. I added some treatment over this weekend while at the lake house still doing it some but overall the ran good.