Help needed on brake line with quick disconnection outlet

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi All,

The boat/trailer I am purchasing has no brake calipers on. The trailer has discs but no calipers on the bracket. I plan to get 2 calipers, connecting the brake lines to the acuator. From whatever I was looking at the acuator part, there is something looks like a quick disconnect ready for the brake line. I am not sure if I am right but wondering if anyone know this kind of set up. The acuator is Titan model #60 and where I can purchase a brake line to fit Tiedown brake caliper assemblies.

Thank you so much in advance...

Frank

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help needed on brake line with quick disconnection outlet

I highly doubt there is a quick disconnect. If there is, I would not use it.

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I finally found this picture at titan international website and attached it as am attachment. The brake tube seems to be able to fit in the parts as I described as quick disconnect fitting (not sure if I am right). I can't find any website carry this kind of tubes. Does anyone have experience with it and does it fit to a Tiedown disc brake caliper or I am limited to use any parts from Titan?

Please help and thanks in advance.

Frank

Attachments

• brake tube.jpg
    brake tube.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0

Splat

Lieutenant

I'm having a hard time following your post, but I'll try.

Coming out of the back of your brake actuator(at the tongue of the trailer) there should be a fitting. This will connect to a steel brake line. THese are available at any automotive store, it lengths from just a few inches, to manhy feet long. That steel line will follow the trailer frame rails all the way back to the area just above the axle, from there into a splitter and off to each side of the trailer just above the wheel.

You will then use a bracket like #5, and a clip like #6 in your attachment to secure the end of the steel line to the trailer. From there you will need to run a flexible brake line, sprta like the ones pictured but more than likele will need a fitting for a "banjo" bolt on the end(also available at any autoparts store) down to the caliper.

All the fittings in use will be a Double Flare high pressure fitting, they will screw together. Nothing on a brake system will ever be quick disconnect.

nlain

Commander

I just replaced all of the steel brake lines on my trailer a few months back. On my trailer the flexible line was attached to the bracket #5 with clip #6 and the steel line nut screwed into the flexible line fitting, then the flex line went to the caliper banjo fitting and a steel line crossed the trailer on the axle to the other caliper. No quick disconnects any where.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

There are no brake lines that are unique to your Titan actuator. I would wonder if the master cylinder is even any good if it has been left open(assuming what you are looking at is not a quick disconnect) Look inside the master cylinder to see if you have any brake fluid.

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all for the responses. It might be my stupidity is acting up again and I apologize for that.

Right now, I don't have the boat/trailer yet but will pick them up in 2 days. I will follow up with pictures once I get hold of them and ask for help again.

Thanks one more time.

Frank

Splat

Lieutenant

Frank,

Were here to help. No biggie. Pics would help a bit tho if you can.

Bill

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi All,

Finally got my 92 boat/trailer, it's a Four Winns boat and trailer setup. I took some pictures for you to look. The quick disconnect is in the middle of the fram but no hose attached in or out. The owner did a bad job putting the backflow solenoid tube into the reservior cap. That might ruin the whole system. Also, the calipers were removed leaving the bracket with 2 holes about 5 1/4 inches apart for the caliper attachment. The flexible hoses were rusted badly.

The trailer will be used in salt water 30% of the time and here are the parts I plan to order, please let me know if I miss anything or you have better suggestion on lowering the cost.

1. Titan 60 acutuator with blocking solenoid: $ 163.95
2. Kodiac calipers Model 225 SCAD: $ 159.51 for 2
3. Single disc hydrolic line kit: $ 58.95

Thank you all again for being so helpful.

Frank

Attachments

• IMGP2720b.JPG
    IMGP2720b.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2110b.JPG
    DSCF2110b.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF2112b.JPG
    DSCF2112b.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 0

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By the way, the discs don't look like ventilated discs and no rust. Might be the stainless steel ones. Please let me know if the Kodiak 225-SCAD calipers will work with them.

Thanks again,

Frank

I have a 94 Four Winns trailer with a removable tongue, and it has a quick disconnect on the brake line. I don't think you'll need it unless you want to use the removable tongue. I'd get a new brake line kit and get rid of the quick disconnect.
Good Luck!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to start from scratch on the disc brakes. Get a complete Kodiak kit for each wheel . This means new discs, rotors and calipers.

Don't use the quick disconnect and get rid of that Mickey Mouse set up for the brake fluid return.

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know how much apart between the mounting bolts for the Kodiak 225 SCAD caliper? I have a bracket on wheel with 2 holes at 5 1/4 inches apart. I would appreciate if anyone can tell me they will fit before I place my order.

Thanks,

Frank

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just so you know, you will not be able to use the Kodiak calipers with the disc that is on there. Becasue of that, you will have to buy both a caliper and a disc for each wheel. Those two items alone cost for than the kit that includes the bracket so you might as weeel buy the kit.

cheers731

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Bruce,

I understand now. I will order the kit instead of the calipers only.
The boat/trailer weighs about 5500lb and only one axle out of two will have brakes installed. Should I order the kit rated for 3500 lb or 5200 lb?

Thanks once again,

Frank

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try:
Championtrailers.com
Good people to deal with. They sell complete "kits" which have matched components and go on with wrenches and screwdrivers.
You will need a solenoid which disconnects the brakes in reverse. Otherwise you won't be able to back up. The surge activates when backing.
Also. if you have a dual axle trailer, I strongly suggest getting brakes on both axles. Many state laws require it. I have two axles and 4 disks on my trailer. Tows great and stops almost as fast as the SUV alone.
Yes, it cost more, buy I am keeping the safety of your family and other people in mind.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

unless its got a electoninc breakaway or eletronic surge there is no need for a solonid the titan model 60 has a anti reverse that alowes for backing also the model 60 is for drums

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Bruce,

I understand now. I will order the kit instead of the calipers only.
The boat/trailer weighs about 5500lb and only one axle out of two will have brakes installed. Should I order the kit rated for 3500 lb or 5200 lb?

Thanks once again,

Frank
You won't be able to put the 5200# kit on the 3500# axle that you have because the bearings within the hub most likely won't fit your axle. Also, the 5200 is for wheels of 15" or larger and are 6 lugs. What do you currently have?

You should put brakes on both axles if your combined weight is more than 3500#

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

unless its got a electoninc breakaway or eletronic surge there is no need for a solonid the titan model 60 has a anti reverse that alowes for backing also the model 60 is for drums
You can get a model 60 for disc brakes and you do need the solenoid valve.