Gas Ball Sucking IN

turkey22

Seaman
Put new fuel pump on 40hp rude....now when you go give it more than half throttle the ball is wanting to suck down what is the problem....

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Gas Ball Sucking IN

Restriction to the fuel flow between the tank and the ball, pick from tank or tank not venting.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Agreed with Vic.S I wonder if this hasn't been a problem all along and maybe didn't show up untill you put new pump on? If you haven't tossed your old pump you might want to keep it.

Course I have a barn full of stuff I'll probably never use.

Safe boating ya'll

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I would say your tank needs venting. Open the cap and see if it fixes it. If so, it is most likely your tank vent not letting in air.

The goods news is, it would appear that your new fuel pump is working quite well. That ball is not sucking in on its own.

a70eliminator

Captain

The squeeze bulbs do wear out too, they are also directional, the internal check valves wear out, I put one on backwards once and it went flat.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Crap blocking tank pickup, anti-siphon valve stuck, etc. Whatever the cause, it's on the suction side of the ball.

a70eliminator

Captain

Isn't there a third hose that feeds that pump crankcase pressure? sounds like maybe it's leaking or broken on the other end where it connects to the crankcase nipple. no it has to be on the suction side, wild correctomundo.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

It isn't very likely, but the tube of the hose between ball and tank could have collapsed. I would relace ball and hose to tank. You never said if the engine would run wot with the ball squeezed down. Hey bright side you got a super sucker now.

Good luck