1984 Mercury 115 HP Power Pack?

etbill52

Seaman
I have a 1984 Mercury 115 HP, it was running 3 weeks ago,(or so the man I got it off said) today it won't start. It is getting fire on 2 plugs # 2 and # 5. 1, 3, 4,and 6 won't fire.Could this be the power packs? Number 2 comes off the top pack, number 5 comes off the bottom one. Could both power packs gone bad at the same time?
Thanks for any help.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1984 Mercury 115 HP Power Pack?

More likely that you have a trigger wiring problem. 3 trigger in one housing, each trigger has two leads, one to each ignition module firing alternate cyl's. One trigger operates #2 and #5

You may have broken trigger wires where they flex as the trigger advances timing with application of throttle.

Because there is NO RETURN on electrical parts you want to test to prove/disprove this before purchasing any electrical part.

Disconnect the trigger wires from each module and ohms test trigger pairs, or ideally test with a DVA Meter while cranking with the starter. Compare readings with service manual.

etbill52

Seaman

More likely that you have a trigger wiring problem. 3 trigger in one housing, each trigger has two leads, one to each ignition module firing alternate cyl's. One trigger operates #2 and #5

You may have broken trigger wires where they flex as the trigger advances timing with application of throttle.

Because there is NO RETURN on electrical parts you want to test to prove/disprove this before purchasing any electrical part.

Disconnect the trigger wires from each module and ohms test trigger pairs, or ideally test with a DVA Meter while cranking with the starter. Compare readings with service manual.

Thanks for your reply I will try and find thes wires. The motor is on a pontoon boat, I call the man back last night that I got it from, and he said it did run good when he had it out. I pulled the boat about 70 miles and it wouldn't start. I don't have DVA meter but do have an ohms meter if I can find the right wires. again Thanks, I will post back what I find.

etbill52

Seaman

We checked the wires from the trigger, there 1- Yellow wire was broke off with about an inch out, we can't find where it could go.

one was: Blue and White: 1-Blue: 1-Red and White: 1-Red: and one Yellow and Red it goes to a small box about an one inch and a half square above the
power packs.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

That small box with TWO yellows and the Red wire is the rectifier, the yellows are a charging set of coils in the stator, the red wire ends up connected to the battery.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

the wires your refering to are the stator wires...the other component under the flywheel are the trigger wires.its the one attached to the throttle linkage and moves as u advance it...i believe they will be white,purple,brown andwhite w/black tracer....maybe someone can verify those for you

etbill52

Seaman

Thanks everyone for your help. A friend had a 90 hp Mercury I looked at his wireing, got the yellow one in the right place now. On the power packs we changed the bottom with the top and the 2 and 4 plug would not fire, put a power pack on the bottom, now all plugs are hot, running find. Thanks everone:)