Seal Concrete Pond

duscarter

Seaman
Does anyone know of a product that would seal a small concrete fish pond from leaks? I am hoping to find something that can picked up at one of the local hardware stores. Should have used a liner.

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Seal Concrete Pond

Are you trying to seal up cracks n the concrete that water is getting through, or seal up the actual concrete surface because water is seeping through?

duscarter

Seaman

The water must be getting through the surface, because there aren't any visable cracks. Hoping I can just roll something on it. Thanks.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have you looked at the stuff they paint garage floor's with?
I believe it's a rubberized latex kinda paint in different colors.
Just throwing it out there.....:D

Just did a google on garage floor paint.
The good stuff is the epoxy stuff.
Take a look.;)

duscarter

Seaman

I might give that a try. Surely Lowes sells it, and it is probably cheap. Thanks for the advice. I was hoping someone on here had already had the same problem. ;)

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I might give that a try. Surely Lowes sells it, and it is probably cheap. Thanks for the advice. I was hoping someone on here had already had the same problem. ;)

Actually, never had that problem.......yet.:eek:
Let me know how it turns out.;)

duscarter

Seaman

Just got off the phone with Quikcrete. None of their products, including the epoxy based floor paint, will hold up underwater for long. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I might have to find a pool supply company and pay big $$$. Never dreamed that concrete needed to be sealed to hold water.

RollingWanderer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Google

spray pond liner

and you'll get a bunch of hits.

Here are a couple of links...

http://upscalecoatings.com/

http://www.pond-o-mania.com/spraypondliner.html

I've used a spray in liner before that seemed to do a great job, but I'm not sure how it held up in the long run as we built it for a customer when I was working for a construction company many years ago and I have never heard anything since.

duscarter

Seaman

Cool video, but after all of the threads I have read in the resto forum, the last thing I want to do is glass it.

Followed RollingWanderer's links and found a product sold at Ace Hardware - Thoroseal. You just paint it on. It is only $38 a bucket. Hopefully one will do. Someone had given it a good review for this purpose too.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Well, you have to drain it either way so a liner is still an option.

BTW- since it is a fish pond, you'll probably want a non-toxic solution to the problem. Beware, many epoxy formulations may be toxic to fish even when cured.

First time I ran across this, it was for a concrete bird bath. There are some products out there for that purpose but they might be cost prohibitive for a large pond.

One thought I had was the products they make for sealing basement walls. Drylok is one product I believe and is available at any home improvement store. You'd have to check the label to see if it is non-toxic when cured.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Just for Laughs how big is the pond :D ? Heres some shots of my work in progress .

DSCI0124.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCI0125.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCI0126.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCI0127.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCI0128.jpg
[/IMG]

I would say if its not to big a regular liner would probably work fine . I will add one other option place a wanted add on craigslist for an above ground pool liner .

Rick

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wouldn't any of the pool stuff work like marcacite and diamond bright. Stucco mix would also work I would think.

salty87

Commander

Cool video, but after all of the threads I have read in the resto forum, the last thing I want to do is glass it.

it's the wood rotting in the restore section, the fiberglass is still there and can be tough to get rid of. glassing a pond that you're gonna cover with rocks should be pretty easy, depending on size.

duscarter

Seaman

I will snap some pictures when I get water in it. Not to worried about putting fish in it, the dogs like water too much. My mind is made up on the Thoroseal. For the price, I could do it every couple of years if need be. There is a built in drain, so it is already dry. I didn't want to do glass because of the work/mess/expense.

It won't get done this weekend. There is a big concert on the lake tomorrow.

I am sure your's will come out better than mine Rick. Looks like you are on the home stretch.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone know of a product that would seal a small concrete fish pond from leaks?

Not to worried about putting fish in it, the dogs like water too much.

BTW- the dogs will drink the water and so will any wildlife.