Hot Alarm going off

Speakrdude

Ensign
Hello again all. Took out the Ranger Bass boat a couple of weeks ago. (1994, Johnson Fast Strike 150) Runs fine, however after a few running, the hot alarm starts going off, kind sickly sounding, I might add. I pulled the tan wire from the alarm and the alarm goes away. I traced down ever wire I could and plugged and replugged while the alarm was going off. Still no evidence of a short to ground or a bad sensor. The only wire that made tha alarm stop was the red master (fused) wire that connects the ignition system within the engine cowling.
Any pointers?

jriegle04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hot Alarm going off

i would replace the impeller before you find yourself replacing the powerhead. there is a reason that alarm is going off. unless you have already replaced the impeller. if that is the case i would be checking for blockages. when that alarm is going off if you can't hold your finger on the head for at least 3 seconds the impeller is bad. are you getting water from your "tell tale"?

Speakrdude

Ensign

Yes, tell tell stream is fine, super strong. I was going to cut steele with it later. (little water pressure joke there)

Water pressure is good. engine temp seems to be fine.

The alarm will go off with the key on only, not running, before the engine has even been started or after the engine has cooled down for a while.

Is the fuel pump the three wires close to the VRO system? I unplugged and replugged everything there, (Key on, not running) but didn't have my manual/schematics with me at the time, so not sure if that was the fuel pump.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Did you check things out at the warning horn end of things ??

Speakrdude

Ensign

Not much to check there. Black wire is perm. attached. Purple, (ignition on) good, Tan wire removed, horn goes away. Is there any other way to troubleshoot?

Jim

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jim, My '98 Johnny 150HPV6 developed a short somewhere in the boat wiring harness. The result was wires that melted together and connected to each other. My problem was in the tach circuit, but you might trace the tan wire from the sensor to the boat harness. If that is good disconnect it and see if the alarm still sounds. If so, you likely have a short in the baot harness, or under the dash.