Smart Tabs getting delivered tomorrow - install question(s)

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ordered the Smart Tabs while at work without viewing my boat.
19.5' Four Winns Fish N Ski.

Perfect transom for mounting the tabs with 1 exception : The swim ladder folds down right where the tabs would go. Any ideas how to "extend" the swim ladder out 6 inches or so to clear the tabs??

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smart Tabs getting delivered tomorrow - install question(s)

Your description indicates that the ladder is mounted directly on the hull, and there is no swim platform. If that is true, you could bolt on a swim platform. They are pretty convenient for boarding the boat and don't cost much. the other choilce is to move the ladder closer in to the motor, to clear the tab.

I suppose you could build some kind of standoff for the ladder, however, that is essentially a small swim platform and has the potential to look like junk.

Alternatively you could bolt together some kind of pressure treated wood platform and create a swim platform with some metal angle brackets to attache it to the boat and some kind of support on the outer edge.

Kostyan

Recruit

i am new to the scene so please pardon my stupid question...what are the trim tabs, how do they look like, and what are they for?

Bifflefan

Commander

i am new to the scene so please pardon my stupid question...what are the trim tabs, how do they look like, and what are they for?

There is a search button on top, click that and type in trim tabs, hit go, then read. Easy as pie.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

My boat came with tabs but no swim platform, and they conflicted, so I just cut out a section of the platform for the tab's cylinder. Be mindful of where the swing down step and the user's feet will be in relation to the outer edge of the tab.
Also be careful mounting stuff too close to the motor; you don't want the prop and the ladder exchanging molecules.

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your description indicates that the ladder is mounted directly on the hull, and there is no swim platform. If that is true, you could bolt on a swim platform. They are pretty convenient for boarding the boat and don't cost much. the other choilce is to move the ladder closer in to the motor, to clear the tab.

I suppose you could build some kind of standoff for the ladder, however, that is essentially a small swim platform and has the potential to look like junk.

Alternatively you could bolt together some kind of pressure treated wood platform and create a swim platform with some metal angle brackets to attache it to the boat and some kind of support on the outer edge.

Correct, the ladder is mounted on the hull.
Not enough room to move the ladder closer to the motor.
Have you even seen strong steel brackets to extend a swim ladder out more?? I don't want to buy a $200 swim platform to accomodate $100 trim tabs.

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My boat looks just like this, except I have an outboard

60097200962291037419_102_img-5342.jpg

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

that is super simple, get the flip up bracket that they sell for beaching, backing up or towing. Below is a pick of mine, just go by the directions.
I knotched my ladder, yet to re-install.
any other questions just ask.
Lance

Attachments

• dusky smart tabs.jpg
    dusky smart tabs.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
  • dusky smart tabs 2.jpg
    dusky smart tabs 2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
  • dusky smart tabs 1.jpg
    dusky smart tabs 1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 0

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that is super simple, get the flip up bracket that they sell for beaching, backing up or towing. Below is a pick of mine, just go by the directions.
I knotched my ladder, yet to re-install.
any other questions just ask.
Lance

Hmmm . . .does anybody know how far away the tabs are from the boat when in the down position with the Protroller bracket? I have 5"

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If you boat in freshwater, you could bolt some galvinized or aluminum angle iron to your boat and install the ladder to the end of the angle iron. Put some plastic or PT lumber between the angle iron to make a walkway.

It will look a bit nasty, but should work.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

the 5" should be fine depending on the length of the ladder when the tabs and ladder are down, tabs up and ladder down will be an issue bumping into each other, it is a small problem considering the actual ladder usage versus the tabs being used,just go easy up and down the ladder,,,my $0.02