1977 Tahiti Restoration - Need fiberglass help! Pictures Added

CamiAnn

Recruit
Hey Everyone,

My husband and I are currently restoring a 1977 Tahiti Ski Boat. I have more experience with rebuilding engines than I do with anyting else and I'm not sure how to begin fiberglassing.

We are done with all the grinding... thank goodness! Now we're ready to start fiberglassing the flooring. Neither of us has ever fiberglassed before but we want to do it all ourselves. We have the resin, hardener, and just yesterday bought the Woven Roving and some mat. I also purchased a fiberglass roller, I assume that helps with the air bubbles. How should we prep the wood that we're using for the floor and stringer? It's all cut to fit and rounded the edges...

Help me out on what to do next...

Thanks!

Cami

I've added a few pictures so you know what I'm working with.

Attachments

• 7-13-09 020.jpg
    7-13-09 020.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • edited1.jpg
    edited1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • edited2.jpg
    edited2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1977 Tahiti Restoration - Need fiberglass help! Pictures Added

Hi Cami, you need to treat your wood to fight off moisture, I used epoxy resin, a few coats with special attention to the edges. Same treatment for the 'Deck' {floor doesn't sit well with the purist here..lol}. Theres some great help here if your totally unfamiliar with f/glassin as well as some video demos on u-tube.
Best of fun to you & hubby and keep us updated as you go.

1977tahiti

Recruit

i just came across a 1977 tahiti boat and it looks nothing like any of the other boats i have seen on the internet when i type in the search. i was hoping you could shine some light on my situation considering you also have a 77 tahiti. if you could help me please email me at fallon.utah@yahoo.com. thank you.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a real nice project, is that a hurse in the back? Good luck with your resto